Bay Leaves

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I have heard that these are toxic if eaten straight from the tree and need to be dried? Does anyone know how long they need to be dried for?

I dont really intend to eat the leaf but want to put inside the trout im cooking over the bbq tonight, just to flavour it..ta

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
I don't think that is quite true personally, although mountain laurel is toxic and that looks much like a bay laurel tree, so as long as you have the right tree then you shouldnt have a problem

But even with proper dried Bay leaves you don't eat the leaf because they are too hard.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I have heard that these are toxic if eaten straight from the tree and need to be dried? Does anyone know how long they need to be dried for?

I dont really intend to eat the leaf but want to put inside the trout im cooking over the bbq tonight, just to flavour it..ta
I've been using bay leaf straight from the garden for twenty plus years, never had any problem, other than fresh bay not being as strongly flavoured as dried,
I use an extra fresh leaf for every 4 dried called for in the recipe.

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
I have a bay tree too - use them fresh all the time.. As Tadpole says, not quite so strongly flavoured - but I must admit I almost always prefer the flavour of fresh herbs...

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
As others do I use them straight off the tree, haven't used dried ones in years. The tree does need pruning though so I may well save some.

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
I never use dried leaves as i find it easier to get them straight from my tree. favorite use is to add to the pot when boiling gammon with an onion stuck with a few cloves

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
I have two chicken carcasses in the slow cooker right now. A day or so with some onions and bay leaves straight from the tree will yield some fine stock for soup later in the week.

Just add some chopped chicken meat, pearl barley and any veg you fancy.
Cheers,
Steve

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I have two chicken carcasses in the slow cooker right now. A day or so with some onions and bay leaves straight from the tree will yield some fine stock for soup later in the week.

Just add some chopped chicken meat, pearl barley and any veg you fancy.
Cheers,
Steve

Hmmmm, slow cooker ey, I tend to just boil the carcass but it requires a bit of stirring, topping and playing with whereas a slow cooker, as you say, can be set and takes care of itself :naughty:

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
My wife uses leaves direct from the bush for cooking as stated by others.

The labrador helps himself to leaves and branches and appears to suffer no ills, although I was not aware that they are an intoxicant maybe this is the attraction for him.

Pothunter.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
If there's any truth to the rumour that they are toxic straight from the tree then me and my kids wouldn't be here today, or we'd have been very sick on a regular basis.

It wouldn't be wise to actually eat the leaf I guess as it would be very hard to digest. Usually you take them out of the stew before serving or leave them on the side of your plate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE