Battoning with a Mora

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ed W

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2005
West Yorkshire
Hi,

I'm having a bit of a posting frenzy at the moment.

Can anyone tell me if you can batton with a Mora 'training knife'. I'm not sure if the knife is really strong enough to do things like that.

Cheers

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I think you will be ok. I've done it quite a few times as I am sure many others have as well. Jimbo has written about it quite a bit on his website (sorry, don't have the link handy but I'm sure somehere can post it). At any rate, buy two and carry one for a spare. They don't weigh much so you won't be adding to your load and at the price, if you do happen to break one with a baton, you can afford it. :)

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I've done it quite a few times and it's fine. feels like it's bending if your a bit of vertical though. I find it's not all that good for it as it's so thin it doesn't have much of a wedge effect though

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I'll never forget watching a friend who read one of my survival books and decided to create his first fire. We are talking somebody who thought lighting a gas stove was on a level with QUEST FOR FIRE with thus Spracht Zarathustra playing in the background. He takes his Marine K-Bar and tries to split a billet of OAK at least 2' in diameter and seasoned to a grey, spiderweb and dirt piebald bit of nastyness. He managed a faint indentation before duplicating Aragorn's shards of Narsil :eek: Moras make great feather sticks and kindling wood. Anything bigger I either reach for an axe or break things up between a treefork or go to field carved wedges.

B

brian6244

I actually find the thinness of the Mora to be an asset when batoning against the grain.

Moras work fine for green saplings when you know to baton without killing or maiming yourself from a springboarding piece of wood. I've dropped more than a few trees of more than 8" which at first would seem impossible with a 6" blade. At that point a person is into dangerous territory, though.
They'll also split wood which splits easily - but tough wood is best left to a wooden wedge and baton as Chris says.. Once you get to sectioning up pieces of seasoned wood of more than 4", though, a knife and baton becomes a chore whereas a tiny hatchet or saw will get lots of wood sectioned in no time.
People might want to look at this thread on outdoors-magazine for some pictures of the actual tangs on various Moras. They vary greatly:
Tangs

I'm always amazed that my original old wood handled Mora is not only still in one piece but looks like outlasting me - despite LOTS of batonning.

Toward the bottom of this page are pics of me sectioning up a log with wooden wedges and baton made by a Vaughan mini hatchet. And that's not a cedar or pine. A Mora would have taken longer to make wedges, but it would have worked.
log splitting at bottom of page

One pic..

14splittoend.jpg
]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE