Basic Trout Recipe

Hi all
I am after some nice and easy recipes for trout,
Nothing too fancy to start with as i am a novice when it comes to cooking fish.
I shall be cooking them in a kitchen first to make sure i know what i am doing before i try n get clever over an open fire.
all suggestions and hints gratefully recieved.
Cheers
Sam

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Place them whole but gutted on a large piece of foil,sprinkle with sliced almonds arub of butter and a sprinkle of lemon juice add a sprig of parsley,wrap in the foil and cook in a medium oven for 15-20 minutes depending on size of fish, generally 6oz.

If the fish are REALLY fresh (ie. still stiff, or even better, before they go stiff), then IMHO it's a shame to do anything too complicated with such a fantastic fresh natural ingredient.
After gutting, just fry them gently in a little butter, add a little salt and fresh ground black pepper, and eat with some nice bread.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
If it's a stocked or store bought rainbow trout (read as pellet fed farmed trout) then either brine it for an hour before cooking it or scour the insides out with some coarse sea salt. If it's a naturalized or wild fish you'll likely not need to do that as it won't be carrying much fat compared to the farmed fish.

This is what I ususally do with reservoir caught rainbows of around 2lbs cooking times will vary a little depending on how large or small your cach is.

Grate the zest off a lemon and quarter the remains of the fruit - place the lemon (minus zest) into the cavity of the fish with a bay leaf and a little black pepper - wrap with foil and cook in a medium oven for 20 to 25 minutes, open the foil for the last five minutes and sprinkle the lemon zest over the trout.

Cheers,

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Hot pan, tiny bit of oil.
Put fillet skin side down, bit of seasoning.
Press down onto pan.
Watch the flesh and wait until it's nearly changed colour all the way through.
Flip over and cook the other side for about 30-45 seconds.
The skin should be nice and crispy/smokey - should be all the flavour you need.

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
thread through a carved stick and prop or hold above the flame cook to yor likeing or intell the flesh goes light and fluffy or can gut fill the gut with natural herbs or herbs you like rap in foil and cook on hot embers spining every about every 5 mins

Jul 26, 2009
My Front Room
On a wet and rainy day fishing I stuff the fish with rehydrated paxo. wrap in foil and bake or fry in the pan.
The paxo gives it that xmas feel good factor that can cheer the dampest of fishermen.

wow thanks folks for the suggestions
they are store bought trout as i am even more of a novice at catching fish than cooking them.
i think i shall try the fried fillets in pan suggestion from bushwhacker but i shall try the rest and any others i might get until i am a proficiant fish cooker.
thanks again
Sam

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
why not try some proper fishing whiting can be caught so easy from any uk shore this time of year and are a tasty treat plus if fishing for whiting you got the added bonus of maybe a cod umm:)

waterman

Nov 1, 2009
twickenham
try grilling with bit of dill in the cavity.grill each side until eyes go white.at that point fish is just cooked.can be given little longer if you like well cooked.same method works on bar b q or open fire.Give me trout any day farmed or chalk stream.try smoking trout you wont be disappointed.
sorry im a bit passionate about the humble trout.
Arbroath smoked trout is a treat !
hungry now gonna raid trhe fridge.
mmmmmm

Omegarod

Forager
Dec 3, 2009
Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire
Cooked in a parcel of foil on a baking tray. Smear butter over the skin and also inside. Sprinkle a little thyme onto the butter. 15 to 20 minutes is usually enough.

2. (My favourite)
Cooked in a deeper dish: Half cover the fish with cider. Thyme inside the fish.
Cover the dish with foil and let it cook slowly for about 25 minutes.

As others have said.... smoking a trout.... really is delicious!

Rod

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Pack a couple of lemon slices and some Tarragon into the fish, smear the skin with a little butter or oil and wrap in foil to cook in a moderate oven.

If at home, boil some small potatoes and slice, then fry in the juices from the fish and a little extra butter and crusty bread. This was a typical lunch for the wife and I when we used to holiday in Normandy, happy days.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i have 2 good ones
first lemon slices garlic and rosemary in the gut cavity with a good smear of butter wrap in foil and bake bbq or put in embers keep checking normally 30-40mins when the eye is white its done if you hold the head and pull the tail up the whole skeleton comes out and leaves you with 2 tasty fillets without bones and the skin just peels off.

Now if you like things spicy (im a vindaloo man) smear the cavity with hot harissa chilli paste and ghee or butter and a few whole chillies and garlic cloves and cook as above. this one went down a treat...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE