Basic knife from a broken Mora 780

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
One our Scout Troops Mora 780's failed last week so I made a simple knife from the blade.
I ground the blade a bit smaller and put a smaller handle as Ithink it will suit some of my Scouts better. I took less time making this knife than I do on some bolsters:rolleyes:

The failed knife with the reground blade
BrokenMorahandleandregroundblade.jpg

The finished knife with a couple of others for scale.
BrokenMorarehandled.jpg

I need a simple sheath now.
All comments welcome

Last edited:

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
Like your new knife, how did it the original break?
A simple temporary sheath I saw once was some wide webbing material folded over and taped; the belt loop was just another fold.
Inside was a thick piece of card to stop it cutting through. It was very basic, but a design that could be improved upon.

PREPER....... :)

Stoker37

Aug 7, 2005
Rotherham
If you want something tested to distruction give it to some scouts :rolleyes:! My troop have been known to exterminate a whole range of kit in the past. Glad to see someone else using proper sharps with scouts though! I like the recon on the blade im sure your Scouts will find it easier to handle.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
It will get a leather sheath it does not need a temporary one

As far as I can tell it failed due a fault in the handle

BrokenMorahandle.jpg

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Wow I've been using a 780 for years and given it HARD abuse with no bother. I've seen full tang bushys fail before this model..... Your scouts are hardcore!!

PS Never EVER give them a woodlore.. it won't last till teatime :D

Ive got one of these blades waiting a rehandle! cant work out the best way to get the tang into the wood?? I could drill it, but ive only got a hand drill...Any advice??
p.s. Mines the long thin tang like the top one in the pic (Mora 2000??)..
pps is that handle beech???
Also how did you remove the excess steel? Did you just file it down?? Or did you have to heat the metal?

crushthesystem

Forager
Nov 18, 2009
Maidstone, Kent
Let's just hope it was down to a particularly heavy handed scout and not the start of quality slipping in mora's (everybody seems to have stories of companies that were renowned for brilliance but slowly slip into the cheep and not so cheerful category).

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Ive got one of these blades waiting a rehandle! cant work out the best way to get the tang into the wood?? I could drill it, but ive only got a hand drill...Any advice??
p.s. Mines the long thin tang like the top one in the pic (Mora 2000??)..
pps is that handle beech???
Also how did you remove the excess steel? Did you just file it down?? Or did you have to heat the metal?

Jimbo
A few questions
Hand drill is fine look HERE for a tutorial and igf the handle is more than one piece (dont try a one piece for your first) only the front part or bolster needs to really neat the hole should be filled with epoxy and tang
A Mora 2000m is a plastic handled knife so unlikely to be that long but could a No2
The handle is beach and it is a good wood for a tool handle just not as fancy as I normally use
Not heat treat necessary but filling would take a long long time. I used my bench grinder (a linisher or power file or angle grider would work) working slowly and cooling in water often with the blade covered in masking tape and as long as you can hold it the heat treat will be fine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE