Basic Bushcraft Fishing pt 1

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Brilliant - thanks for making the effort.

As to Perch, my grandad used to say it was like eating cotton wool with pins in :)

Could some one please define where and when it is legal to fish? Seasons, private waters, rod licences (where do you get them) etc - it's all greek to me!

Thanks for the post Woodsmoke, great shots. Maybe I should replace my two piece with a telescopic rod so I will carry it more often, although I do keep hooks, line, and weights in my knife kit and have made a pole from a branch and caught several fish that way. I love fresh fish cooked over a fire...maybe you should do a post on shore side cooking ;)

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Dont forget that in England you also need a rod licence for fresh water fishing and you also need to be aware of riparian & local by laws in respect of taking fish, as well as the statutory closed season on rivers and some lakes, ponds & canals , there is little free fishing in England, although it can be found, as most waters are privately owned and/or controlled by clubs and the taking of fish without the riparian owners consent is illegal.

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
Littlebiglane

Don't know what part of Devon you are in, but if you are anywhere near Torquay and want someone to show you how to set up a kit, give me a shout.

I'll run through setting up a telescopic set and spinners etc with you.

Phill

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Great thread would be good to see the gutting and the cooking bit aswell, I love fish but have never actually pulled a fish out gutted it and cooked it there and then, have seen people do this on Kielder though im not sure they were allowed to do so!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Great thread though, looking forward to part 2.

Andy

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Dont forget that in England you also need a rod licence and you also need to be aware of riparian & local by laws in respect of taking fish, as well as the statutory closed season on rivers and some lakes, ponds & canals , there is little free fishing in England, although it can be found, as most waters are privately owned and/or controlled by clubs and the taking of fish without the riparian owners consent is illegal.

So if you're out for a walk or camping somewhere you don't know, how do you find out if you can fish?

And thank you for riparian - not a word I'd ever heard before :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riparian

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Looking forward to more more more. Haven't fished since I was around 13 or so nearly 25 years ago... my time flies. Only ever fished off the piers in Dunoon. Catching cod, plaice and a crab or two. Managed to forget all my knots and ways of securing weights, lures and hooks.. oh well.. time to learn again.. :D

Just a quick fork in the road, Ardentinny is a great place to dig for ragworm.
icon12.gif

If it's private fishing, AJB, you should see a notice board pinned up somewhere. The main thing is yer fishing rod licence.

Forgot, if yer living in Scotland, yer don't need one.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Great post woodsmoke, I do allot of fishing, and enjoyed your post. Would just like to emphasis the use of a wire leader if pike are present, their teeth will cut through nylon very easily.

Looking forward to part 2.

The scary thing is there is every chance the next fish you catch is a whopper.

ladanddad

Mar 2, 2009
northern ireland
Ive been fishing all my life and read loads of books that said exactly what you have. Execpt in about 20 times the space or more.

Excellant post looking forward to part 2, where were you when I was starting Id have saved a packet and caught a lot more.

Huntersforge nice set up, what rod is it, casting weight, did it came as a kit or bought seperate.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
must make a confession now i am not a big fish eater mainly due to bones!
might have to make another effort at some point
regards
Sam

Smoke some. Whilst at primary school, in the 80s, we had a visit from an Arbroath Smokie fishmonger. He built a sand pile around the base of an old whisky barrel and smoked some fish in front of us and it was amazing, he peeled the flesh back and the bones were left in his other hand like the skeleton from Tom and Jerry !

Woodsmoke,

Can you still buy the smoker tin, it was about the size of a scaled down to 1;2 shoebox. You just stoked it with picked up kindling which smoked the fillets.

Nick

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Been fishing once, used a bamboo garden cane, hooks and sinkers and lince from a BCB survival kit and bread squished onto the hook.
We caught 2 fish, about 5 inches long, in half an hour and took them home. Gutted them (or my friend did) floured them and fried them.
With such success I've never fished again!

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Just a quick fork in the road, Ardentinny is a great place to dig for ragworm.
icon12.gif

If it's private fishing, AJB, you should see a notice board pinned up somewhere. The main thing is yer fishing rod licence.

Forgot, if yer living in Scotland, yer don't need one.

Cheers Opal,

So you need arod licence (where do you get them and how much) and you can fish anywhere except private water that should be signposted (or within private land I assume). Scotland you're ok (except private water).

So can anyone explain the seasons?

Cheers - great thread

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Cheers Opal,

So you need arod licence (where do you get them and how much) and you can fish anywhere except private water that should be signposted (or within private land I assume). Scotland you're ok (except private water).

So can anyone explain the seasons?

Cheers - great thread

Rod licences can be picked up at the Post office or directly from the EA via the interweb

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/recreation/fishing/31497.aspx

Dont think you will find private waters are all sign posted AJB, unfortunatley it's up to the individual to verify who controls and owns what im afraid, P.I.T.A i know, but as in so many things these days, ignorance is no defence, if you are caught fishing illegally on a water you could, not saying you would, get done for poaching, im constantly kicking people of the river down here for fishing without a club book ie poaching, and i/we have bought repeat offenders before the plod & the EA, if you are caught without an EA licence by the EA bailiffs you can get fined up to £2500.00, the club i work for spends tens of thousands of pounds per year on renting waters and stocking them, some of the trout fisheries, river & lake spend ten times that, so you can appreciate why the fishing rights are so guarded.

The seasons are explained here

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/recreation/fishing/37951.aspx

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Brilliant Kepis, thank you very much, that's a great site - I think that's all I wanted to know...

Except :)

Is there a season for game fish? If the two seasons don't coincide, what happens if you’re fishing for something you’re allowed to, but catch something you’re not?

I promise I won’t ask anymore stupid questions!

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Another good way to cook trout, is wrap the fish in wet newspaper and put it in the oven until the paper is dry, fish will be cooked and when you take the paper off the skin comes wth it, it is dead easy to flake the flesh away from the bones.

Smoke some. Whilst at primary school, in the 80s, we had a visit from an Arbroath Smokie fishmonger. He built a sand pile around the base of an old whisky barrel and smoked some fish in front of us and it was amazing, he peeled the flesh back and the bones were left in his other hand like the skeleton from Tom and Jerry !

Woodsmoke,

Can you still buy the smoker tin, it was about the size of a scaled down to 1;2 shoebox. You just stoked it with picked up kindling which smoked the fillets.

Nick

Woodsmoke,

Nick

Here you go Nick, is this the smoker you were thinking of?....

1046921web.jpg

It's £33 + del on ebay...130290076198
Here's a link to someone's blog / review on the smoker:
http://www.sites4professionals.co.uk/cms/sites/site197/page.php4?folder=&page=221

I've had this one for years, and use it on my trips to Sweden and Norway to smoke grayling, which are otherwise quite tasteless. As you suggest, rather than buying and carrying the sawdust mix that Abu sell, we use kindling and leaves (more like pines) from Juniper bushes, gives a great flavour.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE