Basic Basic Basic Basic Basic First Aid Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
The Uni mountaineering club I'm involved with has just kicked off for the season so I was having a gander through my kit before our first trip out.

I often have to carry spare spare clothing and kit for the first few trips as people will invariably forget to bring what's on the kit list and, whilst part of me says they should suffer in order to learn a valuable lesson, it's unlikely to make them want to continue to be a Club member.

We do have some Club first aid kits that are standard packs - I aim to improve them with the addition of tick tweezers and some athletic tape and compression bandages for sprains. However, my own 1st aid kit has to be small and light so I can carry all of the other garbage that everyone else seems to forget.

I think I have have pared it down to the essentials for basic hillwalking and mountaineering - this is based on what we've needed over the past couple of years and the hazards associated with the activities we undertake. So, for your delight, here it is:

1 x Shell dressing. Major wounds/cuts/etc. Stabbing yourself with ice axe. Also has long strip of material and safety pins in pack.

Triangular bandage - the core element of just about every first aid course I've ever been on!

Mix of plasters including 1 x Compeed. Most injuries/problems are blisters or minor cuts (often from barbed wire).

Neosporin antibiotic cream.

Alcohol wipes for wound cleaning (and fire starting if needed).

Safety pins. Help convert clothing and material into bandages and support.

Tweezers (removal of splinters and ticks)

Vaseline. Chapped lips, chafing.

Paracetamol - painkillers.

5xq2hg.jpg

I think the only thing I'd possibly add to it is a compression bandage for sprained ankles - however, it won't fit in the pouch so it'll just have to go loose in the bag somewhere. The thing I might consider removing is the triangular bandage but, as an ex-Scout and military man, I have a strange propensity for triangular bandage origami...

It's a good general all-round first aid kit and I think it covers most circumstances. At the end of the day, it's a compromise of weight/size against trying to cover every possible eventuality.

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
You can do a lot with what you have there. I'd loose the alcohol swabs if you want them for wound cleaning it's not what they are for they do more harm than good, povi iodine or something with ADBAC are probably a better choice. I'd also try and force some nitrile gloves and a CPR face shield in there. The neosporin is useful but it's just worth remembering it's probably a bad idea to use it routinely on every cut. If you want to save space the vacuum packed medics triangulars take up far less space.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
A very basic first aid kit would consist only of a shell dressing- to save a life. The rest just makes things more comfortable. There isn't much that can't be achieved with a shell dressing and a length of wide zinc ocide tape..... the new Israeli style dressings are the best and as they are elasticated, it would double as the compression bandage you mention.

To be honest, my kit looks roughly the same as yours, with zinc oxide tape taking the place of the plasters and the blister dressing, no tweezers (in my SAK), a sachet of diorylyte, and a pack of something to block up a dodgy tum. I usually carry ibuprofen, as an anti inflamatory is often useful, and when things get really bad, you can take them at the same time as paracetamol. Oh, and i sack the triangular bandage right off, have never seen these be used in practice, and there are plenty of ways to improvise something just as supportive from the rest of your kit if needed.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
My Basic Basic Basic Basic Basic First Aid Kit is a small roll of gaffa tape! (or better still a couple of metres stuck around something, water bottle etc.)- when you accept that it is an emergency kit then all you really need is to hold things together and stop 'leaking'!

It may not be cool and fancy but it does the job!

Steve K

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2004
Eastleigh, Hampshire
It's funny how opinions differ.

Your kit looks good to me. I personally like triangular bandages. They can be used as cover bandages to any part of the body. They can be used in the place of a wound dressing. And they can be used for immobalisation of fractures.

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
I do have gaffer tape in all first aid kits and jolly useful it is too. But I am not happy with using it for "stopping leaking". Forgetting sterility and the need to remove it for treatment the biggest problem is closing most wounds in a real emergency just hides the underlying problem, surprisingly skin (Especially the epidermis) has very little to do with holding fluids in, so closing it is usually done for other reasons. I've also seen triangular bandages used a lot, but you can improvise most things if you have to, that said often it's the triangular that I end up improvising from.

Last edited:
Nice set up, I prefer to carry something a little more complete, but each to there own I guess.

My Suggestions

• If weight is an issue drop the Triangular Bandage, Clothing you already have can be fashioned in to bandages.
  • Swap the First Field Dressing for a Israeli Bandage, it is more versatile, it can be used as a compression bandage, it also has a plastic sheet inside it which can be used for many things not least for a sucking chest wound, Burns Dressing, Sterile Field etc..., It is vacuum packed so its slightly smaller than the FFD's.
  • I agree with Graveworm about the Alcohol wipes about their usage.
  • I Strongly recommend a pair of Nitrile gloves, not only does it stop any dirt and bacteria from your hands entering a wound, but if your carrying out any first aid on some other person it will stop you from getting any nasties especially if you have any nicks or cuts on your hands, and they only way a few grams.
  • I also recommend carrying some Ibuprofen (It has both pain killing and Anti-Inflammatory Properties) and will be more useful for a sprained ankle (Like you mentioned)
  • To save space Take your pills of of their original packaging an put them in clearly labeled zip lock bags; Here is my FAK see the 5th Pic down for an Example http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7983
And my final thoughts,
What injuries do your trips have the potential for, no matter how extream.
How far are you planing on being from Conventional medicine? E.G. Ambulance, Air Ambulance Etc..
God forbid but if something went terribly wrong could your FAK contents keep someone alive until further medical help arrives?

Hope that helps. :)

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Thanks Guys!

Some good ideas there which I'll look to incorporate. I've actually got a set of tweezers I'll add to the kit for tick removal - they're multifunctional rather than the 'one-use only' tick removers. I'll also look into a different wound antiseptic and I may bin the antibiotic ointment altogether.

Yes, I see that in many ways just a field dressing would form the most basic of first aid kits but I'm not sure how I'd explain that one to the University should anything happen on a trip and there was an investigation!

I guess it all comes down to compromise: at one end there's the 'everything including the kitchen sink' and the other is 'carry nothing but knowledge'. As a pragmatist, I (and I suspect most of us!) sit somewhere in the middle.

carlcmss

Dec 18, 2009
Onatrio, Canada
another idea for a wilderness kit is a larger syringe with a narrow tip for irrigration, you can pull the plunger half way out and keep things like tweezers down the side, it's not sterile once its open but.

Dec 16, 2007
To make room in the pouch for the pressure bandage why not have the FFD on the right hand strap of your bergan. I carry mine there (Old army habit) but if you do get a major bleed due to an ice axe injury you don't have to fart around trying to get it out of your kit. Plus if you injure yourself everyone else knows where YOUR FFD is to use on you.

Just my 2p worth

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Guys!

Some good ideas there which I'll look to incorporate. I've actually got a set of tweezers I'll add to the kit for tick removal - they're multifunctional rather than the 'one-use only' tick removers.
Just don't. It's really really important to avoid causing the tick to disgorge its stomach contents into the person. The tick removers are designed to slide under the tick and pull it off. If you use tweezers, you will inevitably squeeze the tick, forcing liquid from the tick back into the person.

Get a proper tick remover. There isn't a reason not to.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You can do a lot with what you have there. I'd loose the alcohol swabs if you want them for wound cleaning it's not what they are for they do more harm than good, povi iodine or something with ADBAC are probably a better choice. I'd also try and force some nitrile gloves and a CPR face shield in there. The neosporin is useful but it's just worth remembering it's probably a bad idea to use it routinely on every cut. If you want to save space the vacuum packed medics triangulars take up far less space.

Also be very careful using povi iodine as it too can cause tissue damage and inhibit healing. Where possible flushing with clean water is the best all round option.

Brilliant link Graveworm, the most helpful thing I've seen today.

looks like i need some new antiseptic in my FAK!

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
Also be very careful using povi iodine as it too can cause tissue damage and inhibit healing. Where possible flushing with clean water is the best all round option.

This is a real can of worms, there is very little accepted evidence of real world tissue damage from PVP-I (as opposed to iodine) but some small scale studies have shown it in certain laboratory circumstances at various concentrations.

Water is great for removing detritus etc but generally PVP-I has been shown to be more effective in managing infection in wounds especially MRSA. THIS is a bit out of date but still a pretty good summary of the current position. However there is a more recent study that raises some concerns around iodine levels in the system if you irrigate large wounds (This was in cardiac surgery) with PVP-I which could pose an increased risk to someone with kidney problems. But swabs and wipes would probably not fall into that category.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE