Basha with Bungees

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 1, 2015
United Kingdom
I'm new to this and was just wondering would I be able to use bungees, 2 basha poles and a few tent pegs to set up a shelter on my first overnighter as I'm really not great with knots, was just going to use a basic A frame shelter. Could anyone give me some advice as this is my first time ?

Rabid

Nomad
Dec 15, 2014
Sleaford Lincolnshire
There aren't any rules as to what you can and cant use the idea is to try and use different things just in case one day you dont have for whatever reason that item, and what other things can be used to replace them.
The main thing is you get out and do something.

Jul 1, 2015
United Kingdom
I was gonna take some cord to do some practicing anyway but didn't want to stuck if it starts raining in the dark with no means of putting up a shelter.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Should be fine as the prevailing weather is not windy, in fact you should be ok using bungees unless it is terribly likely to have strongish winds, and only then if you have not pitched in the lee side of some protection like a wall or a wood.
Hope that you have an enjoyable experience, and if for any reason you don't, do not let it put you off having another
go. We only learn by experience, and not by the experience of others. Do let us know how it works out.

Johnny R

Jun 28, 2015
chesterfield
Hi RoweY ,Sounds like a good shelter idea,a friend of mine has used numbers on his shelter and with some good results. Also check out the plough point and the lean to configurations ( loads of the stuff on you tube )
Also try to learn a few knots as they're handy for other things besides Bashas. I teach eight and couple of lashings,and that gives me loads of options ( ridge lines,tripods,raised beds,traps,improvised tools and weapons,river crossing)
Main think is what's comfortable and what works for you .Hope you enjoy your first overnighter ,they're awesome.:lmao:

Jul 1, 2015
United Kingdom
Thanks for the advice I have watched a few videos on YouTube but don't think I'll be confident that I can do it until I get out and give it a try. I'm going to take some cord out with me and practice a few knots but was just making sure I could set it up quickly with bungees if the weather's bad etc. Got a few ideas I want to give a try aswell such as making wooden tent pegs to save me carrying the standard metal ones and just testing my kit that I already own.

Johnny R

Jun 28, 2015
chesterfield
No problem,best way to learn get out and do it and have fun at the same time . And I'll bet the way you're doing it now will have changed in a year's time and again in five. Great to hear about the tent pegs, notches are another good area of focus (knife skills,notches and knots :cool:) enjoy the trip. :lmao:

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Bungees work absolutely fine. I don't use them as my ridge line but sometimes as my guy lines. In saying you aren't confident with knots you don't really need anything fancy. Prussiks and whatnot are handy but ultimately not necessary most of the time IMO. There's an app for both iPhone and Android that gives clear instructions and pics of how to tie knots and it really helped me. Just tap knot guide into the app store

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Thanks for the great advice I'll download the app and start practicing, any knots I should focus on the most ?

Simple ones mainly imo. Things like the prussiks do help out a lot. But even simple clove hitches you'll use all the time. Nail knots to join ropes together. You'll probably find its quite relaxing just sit with a length of corsage and tie a few while you're watching tv. And you get good fast. I find oddly (and anyone weigh in if this is bad advice) that some fishing knots are actually really useful and transferable to rope. Half blood knot is my go to for attatching rope to a krab
Prusik gives you a sliding loop and is fairly useful. Evenk is for thing off to an object and leaving a static loop (of I'm thinking it's the one that's basically a Siberian hitch) but decide what cordage you want to use and practice on it you'll be pretty proficient in no time!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE