Basha/tarp poles - What do you use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Frosty11

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2013
County Durham
Walking poles, washing line props, tree branches....the list goes on, but I wanted to see what the majority of you use? I've seen purpose built, telescopic poles, but there's not much chatter on these?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm yet to get my head around walking poles, but that's the old squaddie mentality coming through I guess.

Has any used something like this?

http://www.rvops.co.uk/Catalogue/Sl...ries/RVOps-Telescopic-Bivi-Pole-Single-RV-TBP

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

I have the older version in the vid, bought from RVOps about 3 years ago. Like he mentions the wingnut catches on everything, luckily I've not managed to break or lose one yet. If I was buying again I'd go for the lighter version with the twistlock.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
You don't have to get your head 'round walking poles mate, I have a pair which I wouldn't dream of using for walking with but they weigh nothing, pack so you don't know they're there and do the job a treat.

I cut the rubber handles and all extraneous trim off mine, glued a small rubber cap on top & bottom and the job's a good'un..........................atb mac

Frosty11

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2013
County Durham
I have the older version in the vid, bought from RVOps about 3 years ago. Like he mentions the wingnut catches on everything, luckily I've not managed to break or lose one yet. If I was buying again I'd go for the lighter version with the twistlock.

Don't you use these more than you walking poles? It seems the design is based on the walking poles and he kinda of explains that in the video too.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Don't you use these more than you walking poles? It seems the design is based on the walking poles and he kinda of explains that in the video too.

I wouldn't say I use them more than my poles, it depends what kind of trip I'm doing. If I'm hiking then I have my Pacer Poles, if I'm in the canoe then I'll pack the basha poles as the walking poles aren't needed, but I do want something for my tarp pull outs. The new basha poles in the vid just use the same twist lock mechanism as some walking poles for locking them off.

I wouldn't want to use basha poles as walking poles

Last edited:

Frosty11

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2013
County Durham
You don't have to get your head 'round walking poles mate, I have a pair which I wouldn't dream of using for walking with but they weigh nothing, pack so you don't know they're there and do the job a treat.

I cut the rubber handles and all extraneous trim off mine, glued a small rubber cap on top & bottom and the job's a good'un..........................atb mac

I like that idea. I'll have a look at the walking poles and compare against the locking ones.

I wouldn't say I use them more than my poles, it depends what kind of trip I'm doing. If I'm hiking then I have my Pacer Poles, if I'm in the canoe then I'll pack the basha poles as the walking poles aren't needed, but I do want something for my tarp pull outs. The new basha poles in the vid just use the same twist lock mechanism for locking them off.

I wouldn't want to use basha poles as walking poles

Thanks for this, but all I can think of now is that I want a Canoe! :)

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
Walking poles, washing line props, tree branches....the list goes on, but I wanted to see what the majority of you use? I've seen purpose built, telescopic poles, but there's not much chatter on these?

I always walk with a decent stick ( man staff ) when carrying a pack and use it to set my tarp up when pitching up.

DSCF0670_zpsdf6ed5b5.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE