Bark River Knives

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Wow. That one is way overpriced, especially since it is A2 steel.

I'd be willing to trade a few things for a good blade, Samon, but kisses aren't one of them!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Never used one in person, but the Bravo 1 looks smart! - http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Bark-River-Knives/Bravo-I/p-92-107-8696/

High price and I'm sure one of our boys could make better for a simular tag, specially if you pay in kisses! :)

Judging from the comments by those on here who've actually had one, I expect UK makers can make better (as opposed to similar) for a comparable price. But if someone wanted a US made knife in a comparable price range (for whatever reason) I'd go for a Randall.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I have a first edition mini Canadian with antler scales. Its very small and scary sharp. I use it for all my butchery classes. its a fantastic tool.

Not sure I would want to pay the current price for a replacement but I would be very upset if i lost it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I agree with Wayne, the little ones are really good, they just fit properly in the hand and keep a good edge; though the faux tortoiseshell scales came off mine :rolleyes: Warthog1981 repaired it and it's been sound as a bell since. Sheaths are carp, no getting away from that :sigh: I'd look for another mini Canadian if I lost mine too.

For the money (and by the sounds of it, the reputation too) I think British Red's right and you'd be much better off commissioning one from one of the British Makers. Do we pay import duties on the Scandinavian ones too? some of those appeal too.

cheers,
Toddy

leon-1

I own a BRKT Fox River 1st run. As with the North Star the handle is too small / short and digs into my hand. I have a lot of misgivings on the leather work as well. As someone that has been known to do a bit of leatherwork I was surprised to see the sheath was IMO shoddy in production and what I would consider to be made of poor grade leather.

I believe that rapid boy had some major issues with his North Star and not just in the leather work and handle department. It kind of put me off BRKT tools permanently with my experience of them and their service added in.

With the amount of custom makers that are on here and on BB it makes sense to speak with them, the guys that I have dealt with in the past have been a pleasure to deal with. One of my knives is made by Guy Stainthorp and I cannot praise it highly enough or come to that Guy himself, he was very good to work with and built a knife in the materials that I wanted to a drawing that I provided. The thickness, grind, and HT are exactly what I was after.

FGYT, I have a knife by him, it holds an edge, it was exceptionally reasonable costwise and it does exactly what it's required to do. Duncan is a good bloke as well, which makes it a nice experience to buy from him. His crooked knives are also some of the best I have had the pleasure of using.

Gene Ingram in the states, nice bloke, lovely knives, but functional sheaths and not the cheapest on price. Having said that If Gene's leatherwork was as good as his knives they would be one of the best packages anywhere.

Recently been talking to Mark Hill (HillBill), good guy to talk with, the price of his knives is more than reasonable when looking at the materials that he's using and the time that is invested in making a knife. I can't say anymore than that untill I have a knife in hand, but his work is looking impressive and he's building a reputation on here.

More than that though, start using other knives, find out what you are comfortable with and what suits you and your needs most and then have a chat with a maker about making one. This way you don't buy something that you may regret at a later date.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
For a three finger "bird and trout" type knife, you can't get much better than Duncan's small DSP

dspwalnutsplit700.jpg

I have one in a topknot pocket sheath - it is ideal for dressing out birds and small game - a perfect little field scalpel

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE