Bark containers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I want to have a go at making a bark container, but all the birch round here doesn't seem to yield usable bark. What other barks native to Kent could I use to make a simple bark container?

Cheers

J

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Sweet chestnut I think, probably the inner bark and then needs soaking to make it pliable for weaving in strips.

Only a vague recollection though :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Chestnut and Willow are the two that I've seen examples of, but I seem to remember there are other very useable species in the UK, such as Lime. I seem to remember there are a number of people offering courses in the skill, but I don't know details for those.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mind that even poor birch bark can be cut into strips and woven. It still makes pretty sound baskets/containers. It can be sealed inside with birch tar if necessary.

M

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
I've just begun preparing some sweet chestnut at the weekend. Have a look at the excellent video on John Ryder's Woodcraft School website...

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
1. Google "Black Ash Baskets" to see what they look like.
2. There's a British(?) weaver building fantastic baskets for the species of ash that is native to the UK,
and it is not Fraxinus nigra, found in NE North America.

He's getting better and better with every basket that he posts in other websites.
Do not recall seeing him here in BCUK at all.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
A friend has given me permission to harvest some sweet chestnut from their permission, so I'll give making a container from it a go. Will update as I do.

J

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE