Bark containers

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.

Quixoticgeek

Full Member
Aug 4, 2013
2,483
27
Europe
I want to have a go at making a bark container, but all the birch round here doesn't seem to yield usable bark. What other barks native to Kent could I use to make a simple bark container?

Cheers

J
 
Sweet chestnut I think, probably the inner bark and then needs soaking to make it pliable for weaving in strips.

Only a vague recollection though :)
 
Chestnut and Willow are the two that I've seen examples of, but I seem to remember there are other very useable species in the UK, such as Lime. I seem to remember there are a number of people offering courses in the skill, but I don't know details for those.
 
Mind that even poor birch bark can be cut into strips and woven. It still makes pretty sound baskets/containers. It can be sealed inside with birch tar if necessary.

M
 
I've just begun preparing some sweet chestnut at the weekend. Have a look at the excellent video on John Ryder's Woodcraft School website...
 
1. Google "Black Ash Baskets" to see what they look like.
2. There's a British(?) weaver building fantastic baskets for the species of ash that is native to the UK,
and it is not Fraxinus nigra, found in NE North America.

He's getting better and better with every basket that he posts in other websites.
Do not recall seeing him here in BCUK at all.
 
A friend has given me permission to harvest some sweet chestnut from their permission, so I'll give making a container from it a go. Will update as I do.

J
 
Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE