Bargin 100ltr bergen

Feygan

Forager
Oct 14, 2006
Northern Ireland
After some thought i decided against getting the higlander 55 i saw for 29.99 here http://www.great4camping.co.uk/prod...6&shopsessid=fd807d3f02727fef71763256e4b1837f

Instead i took a chance on a b grade infantry bergen.
bergendpm.jpg

Upon arrival today, it has to be said i made the right choice, it's in perfect condition (baring the faded dpm, but hell i don't want to look like a crazy army guy unless i'm actually serving). Turns out I also got two free bungees as the soldier before seems to have stitched them into the top flap to increase loading.
For total specs, it's one of the PLCE bergans (minus the side pokets and yoke) but with a solid frame inbuilt.

Finally the total cost for all this? £22.50 including p&p. Here's the link for anyone who might be in need of a decent bag without breaking the bank.http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk/ishop/1069/shopscr87.html

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Do you need the webbing harness already for military bergans or is it a complete unit with a back system etc...?

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Tis a complete bergen. You can wear a webbing harness under it if you really want to but on it's own it comes with everything, even an A-Frame in some of them

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
cheers Nat, othen thought about gettin one of these but wasnt shore of back system. Bought a web-tex ultramax for like £100, what a waste of money!! Outrageously bad build quality :(, and its too big. Ahh well live and learn :rolleyes:

Feygan

Forager
Oct 14, 2006
Northern Ireland
The one I got didn't have an a-frame, instead it has a popper flap inside that has space for 3 straight plates with a horizontal cross piece. It gives it plenty of stabilty. I know you can get grade 1 side pouches for a little under a tenner from www.the-outdoor.co.uk That gives you the same bergen as was being issued around '96 (at least from when i got issued mine) and from used and abuse they do standup very well. Along with so many clips, loops and such to add stuff onto, the only question I ever had when using it was do i take the kitchen sink along or cram in a moped.:D

Just to note, if you try to buy one of them with the side pouches for new then expect to pay around £120ish without p&p

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
cheers Nat, othen thought about gettin one of these but wasnt shore of back system. Bought a web-tex ultramax for like £100, what a waste of money!! Outrageously bad build quality :(, and its too big. Ahh well live and learn :rolleyes:

I wouldn't trust webtex with a sewing needle!

The bergen Feygan bought is good old trusted stock. Big though and once you get a pair of rocket pouches on it's huge!

Feygan plates! Dam i got a poxy a-frame that bent well out of shape, :)

Good bergen tough, i'm going to have to reinvest in one.
Theres always this one aswell which i believe is 60ltr http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk/ishop/1069/shopscr70.html

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
After some thought i decided against getting the higlander 55 i saw for 29.99 here http://www.great4camping.co.uk/prod...6&shopsessid=fd807d3f02727fef71763256e4b1837f

Instead i took a chance on a b grade infantry bergen.
bergendpm.jpg

Upon arrival today, it has to be said i made the right choice, it's in perfect condition (baring the faded dpm, but hell i don't want to look like a crazy army guy unless i'm actually serving). Turns out I also got two free bungees as the soldier before seems to have stitched them into the top flap to increase loading.
For total specs, it's one of the PLCE bergans (minus the side pokets and yoke) but with a solid frame inbuilt.

Finally the total cost for all this? £22.50 including p&p. Here's the link for anyone who might be in need of a decent bag without breaking the bank.http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk/ishop/1069/shopscr87.html

I took the chance on one of these for my lad, Luke, it turned out to be much nearer a grade one, perfect nick, and they had lightweight trousers on offer at £3 a go which were un-issued:) Got two OG side pouches and yolk for £20 (grade one) so all in all, a great deal. The pack came with the internal frame too, and delivery was literally, overnight.

Feygan

Forager
Oct 14, 2006
Northern Ireland
Here's the actual frame it came with, so not sure if we have different ideas of plates or not??
DSCF0073.jpg

It does however have induvidual pockets for each bar and a large open space under the flap that could easily accomadate a custom frame.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have had quite a bit of Web-tex gear for review and except for some buckles that broke (and turned out to be under-spec supplied and not what the company told the manufacturer to use) I have had no trouble with any of it.
The snow lock/extention of the Ulti Max bergan is showing some wear but that is from abuse not use.
I cannot see why so many people on this site say that they do not like the gear.
I would say that there is a lot worse out there....

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I love my bergen and with the extr pockets on for long trips its great ! Hard as nails and not once had it let water in :)

Also help that i didnt pay for it as my out kid is in the forces so managed to get me some of my tax money back :rolleyes: :D

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
with regard to web-tex gear; perhaps I just got a a bag from a bad batch, two zips on the side pockets (the ones for the top most pouch) broke almost immediatly on my first outing with it, they were not over stuffed. One side had a hexi stove in it and the other a FAK. I do use a web-tex basha and find that to be very good, but the ultramax I do not even use any more for fear of it spontaniously combusting or some such, ive had that many probs with it ;) !

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Everything i've heard about Web Tex isn't good, especially in active service. Looks pretty but is basically crap.

Just looking to get one of these bergens as my cheapo pro action has bust a couple of seams with with just 10kg of kit in it.

So back to the trusty old bergen it is for me.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Tis true Nat. The problem is that civvies with degrees in design technology and manufacturing design actually design the stuff. The get their design input from Officers who are on a two year procurement project posting, whose normal job is Logistical management and administration.

They can deny it but I would say it to their faces, I lived and then served with the green machine for 32 years and saw a lot of rubbish. I remember when the DPM goretex jackets were being trialled in Germany, the RAOC Captain who was responsible for that part of the poject would wear his on the walk from his married quarter to the big house, hang the jacket up on a coat hanger in his office - and then write it up.

The bergens are good kit, though they tried to sneak in some rubbish in the mid 80's which was quickly 'field tested to destruction' and it was not replaced with the same.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Back when i was in - 1988 i had a huge green berghaus jobby that was told i wasn't allowed to use grrrr because "We had to learn to use the naff '58 webbing and packs witha black bin bag!"

That was all well and good until you went through a river and the stuff would weigh a ton.

Needless to say i used the green monster until i lent it to someone who got it destroyed at Warcop and i never saw my lovely kit again.

If we'd had half the decent kit that modern day squaddies buy and take for granted nowadays, we'd of been better off lol.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
What really took the biscuit on the 58 pattern was that stud thing in the middle of the yoke, it dug in when you had on a gizzit bergen and if you were to remove it they billed you for the yoke. Or, you could use the large pack from the 58 and all the kit fell out everywhere.............eventually I bought a Crusader 100ltr jobby. We were lucky, my boss at that time did not mind so long as it was green.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Aye i remember, bloody thing.

And your noddy roll with yer nbc gear wrapped in yer poncho slapping against yer backside was as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Now i'm going to have nightmares about yomping in that crap gear!!! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE