Bargin 100ltr bergen

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
For those interested i know where you can get these cheaper.
£12 plus £6 p&p Not much of a saving, but they're exactly the same.

Not afiliated to the seller in anyway shape or form and i don't get a commision, but pm me if anyone wants one.

Apologies if this is against any forum rules.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Here's the actual frame it came with, so not sure if we have different ideas of plates or not??
DSCF0073.jpg

It does however have induvidual pockets for each bar and a large open space under the flap that could easily accomadate a custom frame.

Some have 2 "plates" and the pockets are in an A shape which probably was what Nat had. You can tell from the outside by the direction of the padding at the back - vertical. The padding over the spine in Feygans pack is horizontal

Also the 2 plate long packs had "quick release" buckles that partwhile the others have standard buckles.

All good kit - I have 3 short packs, 2 standard long packs and one like Nat's.

I love them except for the inside pocket under the top flap.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Just a thought.

Seeing as though these are popular, and it looks like a fair few of us swear by the good old army bergen, i have been told in no uncertain terms that.

"It's far too big. Get something smaller"

Now i did this, and i ended up with a duff 65l ruck that doesn't hold all my kit (i don't take everything, just essentials).

What are peoples thoughts on the size? Are they too big?

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Depends mate, you can get by....and I mean get by.....with a 35 litre lightweight jobby if you are into minimal kit, to verify that you only need to look at the chaps that do these ultra marathons and mountain marathons.

I had an old H frame ruck to start with when I was 14/15 and remember having to strap the sleeping bag underneath on the lower sticky out bit and having tent poles sticking out everywhere. I used it for years and I suppose I got used to it.

I got my big Crusader after tussling with 58 pattern and was very happy to be able to have everything inside a bag rather thans trapped to it or dangling off it.

I have a maxpedition shoulder bag for short days, a Lowe 25 litre for long days, a 40 if I might be out over night and a 100 for more than a night. The thing is with a big bag you can always bulk up your doss bag to fill it out if you need to.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Cheers Alex.

I prefer to carry everything i need as the car will be with the wife and sprogs, so the size is going to be handy for me.

It was just the "Ooh far too big, ooh go minimalist" etc etc which is all well and good when you're experience in the ways of the outside.

I'm waiting on taking my first trip. Lack of funds and an ankle injury are delaying that more and more which is annoying. But once i'm out, i'll make a list of what is needed and what isn't then go from there. Besides if my hammock or tarp go pete tong i could always climb in it :D

Feygan

Forager
Oct 14, 2006
Northern Ireland
It really depends on your physical carrying limit as to what is 'too big' If your the kind of person who gets exhausted by lugging a full 55 for a few hours, then no matter what you need or not a 100 is always going to be too big. If you can happily carry a full 100 then you can always find something useful to put in it so it will never be too big.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Unfortunately i have alot of kit and find a large bergen easy to carry (those tarps, hammocks and dossbags take up alot of room).

I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it....

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
With a big bag you can get everything inside without crushing a thing.
Spare space is never a problem thanks to compression staps, lack of space can be with a small pack. I hate risking my thermarest getting spiked when it has to go on the outside of a pack....and have you trid carrying a reindeer hide in a 30l bag!?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE