Barefoot running?

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Just making my plans to get back into running and prepping myself to buying some decent trainers for once and came across references to barefoot running.

Just wondered if anyone has done it or tried it. Doubt I will myself but just intrigued.

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Sounds horrible ! The only time I would be barefoot outdoors would be on the beach, but even then not always. But I suppose the longer you do it the tougher your feet will get. But personally I like shoes !

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I use vibram 5 fingers and find them quite good, I have a friend who swears by them, he does multi terrain events up to 100 miles in length

TomBartlett

Spoon worrier
Jun 13, 2009
Madison, WI
www.sylvaspoon.com
There are plenty of minimalist running shoes out there. Like Lou1661 I run in vibram 5 fingers. It takes a while to get used to running in such shoes. I'd never go back to wearing thickly soled trainers. There's quite a lot of evidence showing the benefits of wearing shoes with thin soles, whereas there isn't such evidence for thickly padded soles on running shoes.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Ive seen the five finger shoes before but at near £100 I would need to be very convinced of the benefits. :D

Deal Extreme do some copies which I've been really pleased with, might be worth a gamble before spending the big bucks

Does anybody remember the name of the Olympic runner who ran barefooted? Or the year?

Zola Budd? (dang too slow)

Last edited:

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Not much of a runner but i have tried these 5fingers and have to say i'm not impressed.

I've read the reviews and reports and the folks that are bordering fanatical in the their praise, i've also had 2 mates with broken toes and a few more suffer from injuries that were a direct result of not having any support in their shoes and/or no underfoot cushioning.

Often you'll read that "you need your body to get used to them" what absolute rubbish, if your body needs to get used to something then it's obviously something that goes the natural way your body works.

As i say i own a pair of 5fingers and i've given them time for my body to get used to them and without a doubt my body is noticeably sorer after a hike wearing them.

In my opinion it's just a fad and a fashion that's going to be forgotten in a few years.
Sure some mega light weight runners that run very light on their feet might be able to "get away" with them, but that doesn't mean that the 14 stone bloke down the road is going to be that sake does it.

If you can get a pair cheap i'd say try them, at least you know yourself then.
But from my experience it's just another fad with followers that are bordering on fanatical which to honest tends to put me off before i start.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I've been intrigued by barefoot running for a couple years but haven't taken the plunge yet. From what I've read it takes a couple months of struggling as you build different muscles to do it but once you do it's great. As I run in town there's no chance of me trying any time soon! Keep us posted if you do get into it...

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
Often you'll read that "you need your body to get used to them" what absolute rubbish, if your body needs to get used to something then it's obviously something that goes the natural way your body works.

As i say i own a pair of 5fingers and i've given them time for my body to get used to them and without a doubt my body is noticeably sorer after a hike wearing them.

In my opinion it's just a fad and a fashion that's going to be forgotten in a few years.
Sure some mega light weight runners that run very light on their feet might be able to "get away" with them, but that doesn't mean that the 14 stone bloke down the road is going to be that sake does it.

If you can get a pair cheap i'd say try them, at least you know yourself then.
But from my experience it's just another fad with followers that are bordering on fanatical which to honest tends to put me off before i start.

I'm not fanatical, or for that matter much of a runner, but I've using what is now called minimalist footwear for quite a while for most things, and going barefoot as well.
Got a pair of vibram Five fingers KSO last year, I've used them down the gym, around the woods and skateboarding (middle age skater), and TBH I prefer going barefoot.

It may be a fad but there is some truth behind the myths, however you definitely need to give it time to get your body accustomed to it.
Odd thing was I've often worn flat soled shoes, but when I started running I believed the hype and bought some all singing and dancing running shoes, which completely trashed my ankles, same thing happened when I bought some high end walking boots with "ankle support" and anatomical footbeds:lmao:.

In Conclusion-- Not for everyone, but try it you might like it.

BTW I'm around 18st so definitely not a lightweight.

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Sprinting and running are two very different things!
I can sprint Barefoot for a few hundered yards because you are toe running, any longer than that (5 ish miles on average) i put on a good pair of running shoes because of heal impact!
As with everything in life, you get what you pay for, so spend as much as you can afford!
I have tried Five fingers, and would love a pair to keep for bimbling around, just too dear!
The video on Youtube show's a bloke showing how good they are, but he is only sprinting for a short distance, on a straight track, on his toes!
That sais it all really!!
Good luck whatever you decide, everyone has there own opinion, and this was only mine!

RM

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I've been running for a couple of years now only toe striking. Its took a few weeks to get my calves comfortable but it now feels natural. I actually have trouble heel striking now and can feel the extra impact on my knees when I do. It just feels wrong now :)

Barefoot? Only in style. :)

After having 2 huge blackthorns go straight through the sole into the bone and breaking my foot when I ran into a huge crack that had opened up in the dry weather, I won't be going barefoot, ever :)

The Taramuhara of south america are famous for this running style and can clock up 60 miles in a day at altitude. I've only ever done 10, mainly because I weigh more than 2 average Tarahumarans and like my food too much :lmao:

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Yarr, the Tarahumaras are truly epic the way they run. Saw a documentary on them when I was still in school and it was inspiring!

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
Growing up I used to run about in the African bush bare foot so my feet where conditioned to it, although devil thorns still hurt a lot.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I have been using minimalist shoes for two years and would not go back to conventional shoes and boots. I also occasionally go running in my five fingers and find it much easier and more enjoyable than i used to when wearing trainers.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
as Treadlightly above iv been on minimalist shoes for several years and will never go back. for light shoes i wear flat soled slippers and for trekking leather boots with a thin flat sole and it makes a huge difference letting my feet move naturally and feeling closer to the ground, better grip and generally healthier feet i have found. i have a pair of knock-off five fingers which are great for rambling too i say go for it and try it out you would be surprised

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
*snip*
*snip*

the way I see it is if you are a couch potato, then you start running lots, it'll take time for your body to adapt. If you smoke heavily, then stop, it will take your body some time to get used to not smoking... neither couch-potato-ness nor smoking is your body's natural state, but it has adapted to it, and takes time to adapt back.
As for the rest, I dunno

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE