Barbour Waxed Coats?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
For bushcraft - heavy hot and sweaty - not really my cup of tea.

For walking the dog or day trips to a farm - spot on!

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Tend to agree. They are very robust and abrasion resistant, and even if you do manage to damage it, they can be easily repaired.

However, they are very heavy and bulky, smell, can shed wax on to other things, and do not breathe. Also they are a very dark olive: not too bad for coniferous woodland but you stick out a bit in other environments. Not very warm without a liner.

Still quite good if you're not moving around too much - hence still practical kit for fishing, wildfowling and driven pheasant shooting. I still use mine for wildfowling sometimes. Also quite good to sit on as you can just hose them down.

The newer Barbour breathables are much lighter (though still heavier than a mountaineering shell jacket) and breathable (using a drop liner, instead of waxed cotton) as well as being a lighter olive.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I agree and disagree with the above! Well, you've got to be different sometimes :-D

I've got a Barbour Border jacket, one of the lighter ones and I love it to bits. In all fairness I must say that I use it more for shooting and beating than bushcraft, but I DO use it for bushcraft. Yes its a bit on the heavy side, but it is truly waterproof so far - quick tip for waxed jackets, rub the shoulders with a wax candle to enhance the durability of the waterproofing, it is thorn proof against all but the toughest of thorns, and the amount of gear you can put in the pockets is remarkable (that may not be such a good thing sometimes!). The removable linings of the "poachers" pockets are pretty handy to. I've had cheaper versions, I think the barbour is worth the extra cost. One cheap one I got for about £20 I used in a day long down pour and the was actually washed out! Doh.

When the one I've got is nackered will I buy another? You bet. But as stated earlier, its not just for bushcraft with me.

Dave

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I had a barbour border jacket which was supremely comfortable and totally waterproof. It was light weight but had enough room for layers underneath. The amount of kit it carried was more than the average daypack. It was also big enough to double as a small waterproof picnic rug and the lining was TARTAN! :lol: :lol: I was gutted after 9 years use She decided it was past it :cry: Before the advent of high tech microfibres they were the dogs b*****ks of outdoors clothing and I would recommend them.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Used to be a BIG fan of my Barbour, but once they stopped being fashionable ("Akay, yah?" :roll: ) and went back to being functional, it didn't get worn quite so often and it ended up going all hard, brittle and mildewy. Barbour's DO need care and attention and it would have needed considerable elbow grease to restore, so I threw it out. :oops: A real shame - but it was always heavy and cumbersome and the weather can be SO changeable, I prefer something lightweight and easy to carry for the rest of the day when it stops raining. It was very sturdy though - especially in rough undergrowth and thorns.

But I don't miss the feel of it - Barbours always have that slightly clammy feel, don't they?

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Have to agree with everyone above.

I hate them.

To heavy, to hot and uncomfortable to work in. Saying that, they are built fantastically well ( Can't be a British product then.......can it?!!) I have one hung up around here somewhere that I first had when I was 16, I will give this to Jess ( Jack Jnr) when he is 16 as it will help him build up some muscle.........he is going top need some muscle if he is going to where it!

So Barbour stands the money and will last a life time. The have had this icon status for many years as it was a standard piece of the uniform that people had to wear to be accepted as a 'countryman'............along with all the other bits of the 'outfit' - Hunter wellies etc etc! Of, course, this mind set is about as deep as an infants swimming pool and the shallow end at that!

I wear a light weight wax jacket the cost me £49 from our local agricultural merchants and funny enough, it is one of the best bits of clothing that I have ever owned. This jacket has seen me through, and kept me dry throughout some of the wettest winters we have had since records began.

These days, I view Barbour, as being slightly old fashioned and dated, like most of the 'English country wear'. ...........just have a look at the Blood Sports for that confirmation!

There are some wonderful alternatives out there now days.......but I still do like natural fibres and they are wonderful value for money.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Funny thing is that if you look at both Barbour and Land Rover, they both have gone through a similar evolution ...
  • Started off as practical, hard-wearing and well built (maybe even overbuilt). Price, mid range. Materials, simple but tough.
    Somewhere along the line it got caught up in "country fashion" which drove the price up.
    Evolution stopped, of at least from a practical, ruggedness point of view. Products became too caught up in being an icon instead of moving with the times.
    Price stayed high and innovations ended. Fashion and "faux country appeal" became the driving force.
    Other products by other companies overtook them and left them with a memory of a good product ...
When breathables were rocket science expensive I liked them and they kept me dry but they had serious failings that could have been addressed but it didn't happen. So synthetic fleeces and wool and breathables dropped to such a price that made them affordable which in turn forced Barbour even more towards the "country fashion" market ...shame really.

Never trusted them around a fire though :bu:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Monk said:
Hi! Has anyone tried those waxed Barbour coats? Thornproof? Any feedback on them?
Monk

Oh yes, they are thronproof - and barbed wire proof! In the rough one jacket would easily outlast 10 ventile or goretex jackets no problem. I've walked through things with them that would leave ventile or a synthetic in shreds. It was like having a jacket made of cordura!

The waxed fabric is more likely to "wear out" at the edges from lack of attention than it is to rip or tear. If you do put a hole in one it's easy to patch up too.

Shame about the downsides ...

jakunen

Native
Yeah, they are great coats for non-bushcraft stuff.
I've had one for quite a few years, but don't use it much any more. The waterproofing has basicly worn out so I took it to a few shops to get a quote for re-proofing (too lazy to buy the tins of wax and re-do it myself) and was quoted between £60 and £100. :shock: :yikes:
I only yous it in the dry now...

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I'm sorry, I dislike them for pretty much everything.

For shooting/beating there are coats which are just as hard wearing but are waterproof all day and still don't look out of place.

I think wax proofs were fine in thier day but modern fabrics far out shine them in style and performance.

I used to use them until I dicovered Gortex - much better all round

Sorry

Mark

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
When I was a countryside ranger, we got issued em and they are excellent for real hard graft. I carried railway sleepers over mu shoulder with it on, The tractor ran over it once, I did most of the estate management for 8 years wearing it and it served me proud, But if ya want light weight, comfort and reasonable warmth, they aren't for you

dogman

Aug 31, 2004
W Yorkshire
just found the thread , in reply to Jakunen and his worry about re proofing cost. if you go on the barbour website they are quoting £22.50 for re proofing if you send the jacket to the factory.

it's a shame to only use such a good jacket in the dry :cry:

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
I generally agree with what has been said above. I used to use generic British built version ( lower cost and more sturdy) and they were great for colder season work. They needed TLC and regular care, which is sadly something that really is a forgotten art for most things today :roll: But dried properly and re-waxed they did last a long time.

There are other varieties of clothing that use waxed natural/ natural-mix materials. Like has been said it is a shame that Barbour just did not develop the product further (Use of cordura is not the same thing although a useful option).

For instance the Swedish company Fjallraven have been using an environmentally friendly beeswax and paraffin impregnation process for a long time on their G1000 poly/cotton fabrics. Their clothes have a very good reputation in Scandinavia. You can read more about it here:

http://www.fjallraven.se/en/products.htm

The products are tough and waterproof, using a mix of natural/ manmade fibres to get the most out of both, kind to the environment and practical. They need to be re-waxed fairly often to retain the (almost) waterproof qualities but it is not difficult to do yourself. They give good guides for this. One advantage is that the waxing can be washed out and they are then more appropriate for warmer climates. And re-waxed as necessary ( perhaps for winter or summer uses) Nice touch.

My point is that whilst modern materials give apparent advantages pushed by the manufacturers, as has been discussed in other threads, they often fail to live up to the hype and price. What people want are tough, durable, functional clothes, preferably made from natural materials but maybe taking the best parts of the manmade technology.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
tomtom said:
tenbears had two for sale in the classifides.. not sure if its still there

Thanks Tom they are still available but no one seemed interested.

BTW did you clock what Ray was wearing in Africa........... that's right a Barbour Durham Lightweight wax jacket :eek:): maybe they will be on his website soon.

Bill

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE