Barbour "Cowen Commando" Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I recently bought a Barbour "Cowen Commando" jacket after seeing a friends and thought it would make a great bushcrafting jacket... I was dead right. Firstly this is Barbour's own 'blurb' about their product.......

The Cowen Commando Jacket has been developed from an original wartime design customised by Barbour on behalf of one if its favourite British Army customers. The original was returned many times to Barbour’s Customer Services department for re-waxing, adaptations and numerous pocket additions, and saw service in the Falklands and the Gulf before being retired to the Barbour archives. It was then that its potential for Civvies Street was spotted. In medium weight wax, with re-enforced shoulder pads and many pockets this contemporary wax jacket is finished with the ultimate badge of pride, the Union Jack.

So now for my own review. Firstly Barbours sizing is spot on so if you're a 44" chest, buy a 44" coat and there will still be plenty of room for your mid and base layers underneath. Out of the pack I was immediately impressed with the quality of construction, but for a coat that's close to £200 you'd want that anyhow. The Cowen is available in a sort of tan brown and a forest green or 'sage' as they like to call it. I plumped for the green although seeing the brown one it would still fade quite nicely into the undergrowth if you wanted to be unobtrusive. The fit of the jacket is superb with no bad stitching or chafing and it comes with a multitude of handy pockets. One on each sleeve that will take a small field dressing, gps, compass or survival kit. one near the collar that will fit a zippo lighter etc. A chest pocket that is just right for a mobile phone and 2 large wait pockets for everything else. Inside the jacket on the left side there is a zipped security pocket and a fair sized waterproof poachers pocket with a brass plate which has the barbour logo on it. The outer of course is the famous Barbour waxed cotton that is 100% waterproof, thornproof and breathable. It has reinforced shoulders (great for carrying logs) epaulettes to stuff your tilley hat under, storm cuffs and a comfortable corduroy collar. The jacket also has a rugged 3/4 length zip and waist adjustment toggles under the press studded storm flap. In my opinion the Cowen commando is ideally suited to bushcraft in the typincal british climate. It's hardwearing, comfortable and stylish..... The only downside is the quite steep price tag, but for me it was worth it. Pics below

The jacket worn by some ugly bugger
cowenfront8gk.jpg

Jacket minus the ugly bugger
cowenfull3ox.jpg

Zip and toggle detail
cowenzipntoggle1bf.jpg

The poachers pocket
cowenpoach8zn.jpg

Reinforced shoulders
cowenshoulder2nm.jpg

The inner storm cuff detail
coweninnercuff0fs.jpg

And finally the union flag which every Cowen Commando bears..
cowenuj1pm.jpg

Hope this is of use to you all... Keep in the trees guys D

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Nice jacket Dave, been looking at a couple of jackets lately and thats certainly another for consideration.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Looks fab. I've got a Barbour Beaufort (one of the more classic designs) and love it. It looks great in the city, but is also super for out and about - waterproof, quiet and comfortable. My favourite feature is the "game pocket" at the back of the coat - perfect for stuffing a book or gloves or whatever. You've certainly got a good choice of pockets there!

Things to consider. Mine has had a year's fairly light use (mostly just going to the office carrying a shoulder bag) and bits do need a re-wax (on my to-do list). Obviously it's not a shell jacket, so it's fairly heavy and warm so not for running up hills (but great for pootling and in colder climes).

Enjoy your jacket. Barbour are great, so I'm sure you'll get many many year's good service out of it.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Shambling Shaman said:
Had a full set of Belfasts once good stuff but heavy. Looks good might invest - You can never have enough Jakets, rucksaks, stove, knives, tarps, tents, hammocks.....

Yer as bad as me !! :lmao:

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
That looks like a really great jacket, but I have a question:

I know that oilskin is 100% waterproof and quite breathable, but that lining looks like it's also cotton. So I'm wondering, if the liner gets damp either from perspiration or say, water running down the neck etc etc...what's it like to wear an oilskin where the inner of the jacket is soaked? I'd imagine it'd be hellishly slow to dry and probably quite heavy?

Don't mind me, I'm just curious!

Adam

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice review :D Nice jacket too.
I love my wax jackets. Ideal outdoors kit, except on hot days, which are admittedly rare around here :rolleyes: . Warm, windproof, fairly thornproof, safe at the fire ( no idea why though, I'd have thought the wax coating would make them vulnerable but experience shows they don't catch, scorch or burn into little holes with sparks). Open the zip a bit and they're breathable too :)
Mine is lined with very fine wool and I prefer it to the cotton if I'm carrying a rucksac on top of it.

Cheers,
Toddy

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
addyb said:
That looks like a really great jacket, but I have a question:

I know that oilskin is 100% waterproof and quite breathable, but that lining looks like it's also cotton. So I'm wondering, if the liner gets damp either from perspiration or say, water running down the neck etc etc...what's it like to wear an oilskin where the inner of the jacket is soaked? I'd imagine it'd be hellishly slow to dry and probably quite heavy?

Don't mind me, I'm just curious!

Adam

Errrm I have no idea what would happen I'd assume your body heat would start to dry the inner and it would evaporate away.. Never got the inside of a barbour wet yet?? :confused:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
addyb said:
Hmmm...okay but what about the quote "cotton kills" in bad weater?

Adam

I think that's referring more to Denim and the like.

I was a countryside ranger for many years and we had Barbours issued to us as part of our uniform. They take all the british weather can throw at them, and then some. I wore mine whilst building fences and footpaths, felling trees, coppicing and pollarding, tree planting, hedge laying and all the other jobs we did. It was worn in wind snow sleet hail rain fog and oddly enough a day or two of sun and it performed well and I neither got wet or cold. As an example we were given "Paramo" coats to try for one years uniform issue. They lasted an average of 2 months before we had to bin them (torn leaking etc) and grab our trusty barbours again. A friend of mine is still wearing the Barbour I was issued in 1982, it still keeps him warm and dry after 24 years of use, so they gety my vote every time :D

n.b. I think it's worth mentioning though, to keep a barbour jacket in tip top condition, it is best to reproof it about once a year whether it needs it or not. ;)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Cheers Maddave, I was really happy with my Berghaus Gortex, then you so us the Barbour "Cowen Commando :confused: I guess I need to start saving

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE