Barbers Strops

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Farrant

Forager
Apr 16, 2003
Lancashire
I've had one for a few years to sharpen my Razor?
It's quite an art to use as the barber does without choping your fingers off or cutting the strop in half.
:yikes:

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Dave Farrant said:
I've had one for a few years to sharpen my Razor?
It's quite an art to use as the barber does without choping your fingers off or cutting the strop in half.
:yikes:

I love a challenge Dave ---- think I'll get one now!!

Ronin

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2004
Penzance, Cornwall
Had one of these for a pressie couple of years back, never used it until last year. I've cut it into 3 lengths (2 long, 1 short).

Stuck the short fella on the back of my DC4 pouch as a pocket strop (sure there is a joke there somewhere!) and stuck the other two on a length of 2" x 2" as a bench strop. :eek:): One smooth side up, one rough then you get a cutting strop and a finishing strop. Bags of fun getting stroppy! :roll:

Try it with some waste leather or card for size and feel before cutting up your new shiny strop, you may prefer a longer run with the blade.

Sean.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I have one that looks very much like that, it used to belong to my Father. Claims to be "Genuine Horse Hide". I use it quite a lot for final stropping at home, it seems to work better than a belt but I can't imagine why it would.

Dave

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
EdS said:
The cut throat razors seem very cheap compared to other places.

Anyone know if they are any good?

I bought one of the razors a while ago and sold it on immediately. If you notice it says solingen on the handle in the pic and not on the blade. To be fair the seller does not make any claim about the steel which is why I had no issue with him. The steel is rubbish and it was not even very sharp when it arrived. I may have been wrong but I have seen proper solingen steel razors before and this didn't appear to be close in quality.

It is a case of get what you pay for.

Bill

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Well the razors may not be made in Germany or any good but my new strop arrived today and I am pleased with it.

Its a little shorter than I imagined for some reason but thats not a problem and makes it good for base camp use to!

The actual strop itself has a soft split suede like face which surprised me as I expected it to be just plain old leather however once I tried it out I was very impressed - never used anything on it (auto-sol sharkie) yet it turn the edge brilliantly - a few strokes and my Scandi Pack pal (which was sharp already) was shaving sharp.

Proof of the pudding being in the eating I will try it next time I need to sharpen a blade and report back to you but at present I think £10 including postage is a good price and I am happy as larry with it.

PS My office is being re-wired presently (next 3 days) but once I get back in there I will add a picture or two for those who like such things!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE