Banned dogs - thoughts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
Or John Wick's great grandpa & his Bedlington Terrier in 'SISU' (2022)

Sisu-Movie-Dog-Breed-Bedlington-Terrier.png

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
Yes, it really seems like the demon dog is a Jungian archetype, so I wonder if this is also at work on our psyches (not to suggest the current attacks are anything less than real!) and what effects it may have on our responses.

I have seen the a “spectral dog”. It was a very misty night and I was knackered, pushed on to late before making camp.

Looked up and saw a very clear shilouette of a wolf head. Put the surefire on it pretty quick and of course nothing there.

Made me think about the human instinct to create images from incomplete data. One time it may have been life saver of course.

It’s still pretty common for people to report such images and assign a fantastical origin.

I went to a night time spiritualist/ghost hunt in the woods once. The hysteria was very entertaining. Even as some comfortable in the forest at night I must admit a temptation to join in. :D

Someone decided to get out a Ouija board. … you know what’s coming. The result was the 6’8” weight monster goes running off screaming leaving his girl friend behind. The Wicca lady running things just shrugged and grinned at me. Bloody hilarious. But I guess everyone has a different comfort zone.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
This whole subject seems a bit dubious to me.

Pit Bulls are a frequent target here in the USA of legislation and rules like the one driving this discussion in the UK.

The reasons a dog becomes a problem is multi-faceted. Generally, the people pushing for legislation lack a real understanding of problem and are just doing "what feels right". This is also true for a lot of gun law in the USA and we all know that restricting legal gun ownership has very little, if any, affect on a criminal use of firearms.

Pit Bulls are used in dog fighting in the USA. The dogs are hazardous to other dogs, their own offspring, and anyone unfortunate enough to run into one. I have also been around pet "Pit Bulls" that were the sweetest dogs ever. Do you ban or destroy the sweet dogs because their genetic twins are mean vicious dogs?

Then there are owners who couldn't raise well adjusted Poodle who should not own any dog, period, full stop.

Secondly, are the people who buy a dog that just isn't compatible with their lifestyle. If you don't live a very active lifestyle, a Huskie, Malinois, etc. is never going to be a happy well adjusted dog if you live a sedentary life. Likewise, if you run marathons several times a week, getting a sedentary dog is not going to go well.

Lastly, there is the issue of treating a dog like a pack member, not a 'child'. Mom never understood why my German Shepherd waited for me to step through the door first, or why he only ate after I did. Simple but effective and worked to make his life comfortable with clear expectations and meant no stress for either of us. That dog worshipped the ground I walked on too! Having no ambiguity where he was in the pack order is part of what made his life such happy and good one.

People who buy a dog for status or image are a real problem and I suspect a big part of what is driving the problems I read about in the UK right now.

Last edited:

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
@sidpost
I have quite enjoyed the content within this thread, it certainly serves to highlight that perhaps banning a breed will do 1 of 2 things, 1. either make owning one even more "manly/egoy" amongst ne'er-do-wells, let's face it, if they buy one to help them in their illegal dastardly deeds, making the dog illegal won't make much difference or,
2. Push them onto another breed who will be treated accordingly to serve the same purpose.

I think what this thread highlights is that whatever the next steps any officials take, it'd be pointless to do them with poor forethought and planning.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Says who? and this is the point isn't it? How to apply traits to genetics.
You never seen a Belgian turn into a 90 miles fur covered Nom-Nom missile and try to take a DS arm off? really?
Indeed, I have seen such a thing many, many times over......

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
But they're also chosen for the potential for aggression even if it's controlled aggression.
Incorrect my friend. They're chosen for their motivation. Training a dog to bite correctly has nothing to do with aggression. Training a dog to bite is done in the same way as teaching the dog to sit. Through shaping behaviour. Biting is a behaviour. Which must be controlled and used in very specific circumstances. Aggression cannot be fully controlled. If a dog is naturally aggressive it would be deemed unsafe and would be rejected because to handle such a dog would be against the law, civilian, military or otherwise. This relates to minimum use of force.

It is a common misconception that biting dogs are selected for aggression. Maybe years ago, but definitely not now. Dogs are trained to display the human perception of aggression to aid deterrence (snarling, barking, showing teeth etc) but again this is a trained behaviour. Dogs natural display of aggressive behaviour is so subtle many humans fail to recognise it and this is why humans get bitten seemly for no reason.

Whats more, malinois are also trained in detection work, and they excel in this arena as well, again because they are highly motivated, adaptable and intelligent.

• Love
Reactions: sidpost and TeeDee

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
This will end in some public spirited person poisoning anything that looks tough, mark my words.

I have seen it happen.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Aggression is the act or presentation of violence. It doesn't have to be trained but is present in some dogs, more prevalent in certain breeds. If you read a bit about xl bully dogs you'll read things like bred for their aggression towards other dogs. Aggression doesn't have to be all the time but can have triggers. Fear aggression is a classic example of non trained aggression. However that's usually down to behavioral issues of the dog perhaps due to human behaviour around it I understand.

Either way it can be possible for a certain breed to have high aggression without causing day to day danger to the owner. It's about the trigger or triggers I reckon. Breed presents higher or lower risk. Human behaviour can assist or resist development of aggression too.

I guess I'm saying there's no one way to a dog showing aggression. Breed, ownership / handling and environment too I guess. Aggression can be innate or developed with or without human input. Whatever the cause determines what action is needed too I reckon. If innate breed issue then end the breed or try to breed that out. Whatever I think controls are needed. If human created then control the human / ownership. I don't think there's anything else that can be done. The only debate is how to do these seemingly simple things. Not easy when there's a public outcry on both sides.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I can't see it getting many signatures and I would have thought licencing would have been the thing to concentrate on.

I'm not a fan of muzzles as they can be harmful to the dog, especially if the owner isn't careful.

Whilst I think more dogs should be kept on leads in public there are plenty of responsible dog owners that don't have trouble letting their dogs off in some places. Our late Lab loved swimming in the sea, we would take her too a beach that was empty and swim with her. One of lifes great pleasures is having your dog swim out to you to rub noses. Not easy to do with a lead and muzzle.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
That’s nice.

Is there a petition against having to have a lead and muzzle on your dog all the time when out?

No idea.
But anyone can start a petition.
So if there isn't you should do the right thing and start one!
Otherwise it makes any protest sound hollow.
Enact your democratic right!

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
To be honest, I don’t think there’s a need.

I’ve thought about it and I can’t see leads and muzzles at all times in public happening, despite the many daft decisions those in power do make. They wouldn’t be that stupid.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE