Bank Holiday Monday on Loch Ken.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Monday Bank Holiday morning was beautiful here in Cumbria, so I thought that the best thing to do for some peace and quiet was to head up to Dumfries and Galloway to get away from the hoards. Even though I didn’t get away as early as I’d planned, I was still at the put in at Loch Ken by eleven o’clock. My late start gave serendipity a chance to work her magic though, as Ian ( Barelyafloat ) paddled under the viaduct just as I was about to launch.
We had a chat about a mutually agreeable itinerary, and then went for a look up the Blackwater of Dee to see how far we could get.

P5250184.jpg

I was looking for an easily accessible camping spot to take my son at some time in the future, but we were soon blocked by a small rapid that I wouldn’t want to track up with Li’l Cumbrian on board. The next time I come I might bring my prospector and see how far I can paddle / pole / track my way up. The short stretch that we paddled was lovely though.

Ian in his exotic translucent canoe:

P5250191.jpg

Heading south after this,

P5250197.jpg

we stopped for a brew just beyond the church at Parton before heading north again.

P5250199.jpg

P5250207.jpg

We passed though the waterski zone on the western shore, with the wakes off the speedboats making things a little more fun than the usual flatwater.

P5250211.jpg

We had a go in each other's canoes,

P5250222.jpg

and landed on Green Island

P5250216.jpg

P5250220.jpg

after which we rounded Burned Island and pointed south again,

P5250226.jpg

with a bit of a headwind back to the put in beside the viaduct.

P5250229.jpg

An excellent day was had by both of us, and I was very impressed by Loch Ken. It's beautiful in an understated way, there was almost no litter, you can find lots of bivvy sites in the trees or camp at well appointed campsites. The various zones of the loch seem very sensible and allow many different types of people to enjoy it. I even caught a few glimpses of the famous Red Kites.

Cheers, Michael.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE