Bamboo Bow No. III

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Geoff

Where to start...

First, laying out the bamboo in order to stage them to get an even curve. If you take each length and find which way they curve naturally, and work with this. Gather them as you want them to be as the finished article, and hold in place with the eponymous Duck Tape, before starting the lashing.

Do NOT cut the bamboo in any way as this creates a weakness that will surely snap. Start at one tip and bind in with some glue about 2 inches, and work back and around to create a nock of twine, then tightly bind the whole to the other tip, finishing off with another nock. Then laquer, 2-3 coats.

Nock lashed onto tip

nock.jpg

Lashing stepped over bamboo section

lashing.jpg

Tie the string on to the bow to give a slight curve, and gradually draw the bow back 50 plus times to about three quarters draw. Do this again gradually increasing the draw. When you are happy that it will take a full draw, tension the string and draw back.

Hope that is of some help. I am going to produce a heavier draw weight soon, and will photograph as I go...

Nov 14, 2005
Northiam, East Sussex
Cheers Stovie, I will try to use the extra info you just gave me when I come to start putting it together.

The nocks look like the worst bit, but yours seems to be pretty good and you've obviously had a chance to use it a bit now and I assume its stood up to the strain.

After christmas I'll report back and let you know how I got on, but think I might be aiming my sights too high in hoping to get something as 'useable' looking as your latest attempt. I guess only time and a lot of swearing will tell ;)

Geoff

Nov 14, 2005
Northiam, East Sussex
Do you know what size bow string you used? Assumming a 6ft box length when straight and taking into consideration the extra length needed to make the nocks...

Just thought I'd ask, it would give me a good starting point, cos I guess once you start to glue it it would be a real pita if you found it to be too short and had to start again!

Also, somebody mentioned a while back another method for nocks/stringing which is traditionally used on the long bow. Am I right in saying this is some sort of wooden cap that would, in this case, go over the end of each cane and hold the string?

Geoff

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Are you talking about the length of cordage used to lash the bow? If so one roll of jute twine should suffice. You can braid in extra if needed.

Wooden or horn nocks are traditional on long bows. Extra work, but a nice finishing touch.

The nock in the picture is well used, and holds up well.

Good luck :D

Nov 14, 2005
Northiam, East Sussex
Sorry Stovie, I was referring to the lenght of the actual bow string...

I think I might also be missing ht epoint here, do you form the nocks and then afterwards attatch the bow string? Or is it intergral?

Cheers
Geoff

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Geoffrey_Bubbles said:
Sorry Stovie, I was referring to the lenght of the actual bow string...

I think I might also be missing ht epoint here, do you form the nocks and then afterwards attatch the bow string? Or is it intergral?

Cheers
Geoff

Okay, now I am with you.... :confused:

The nocks are formed as part of the overall lashing. Start at one tip, form the nock with glue smeared in, and continue down the length of the bow, finishing off at the other end with the second nock.

Bow string I cut about 2 ft longer than the bow, make a bowyers knot, attach and tension to the strength required and tie off the other end. Then all you need to do is slip the boyers knot off when resting the bow.

Make sense????

Nov 14, 2005
Northiam, East Sussex
Cheers Stovie, I'm with you now!

Just got to find some suitable cord and I'll be able to make a start.

Have you got another one on the go yet?

I'll let you know how I get on after christmas now I expect.

Thanks again
Geoff

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Geoffrey_Bubbles said:
Cheers Stovie, I'm with you now!

Just got to find some suitable cord and I'll be able to make a start.

Have you got another one on the go yet?

I'll let you know how I get on after christmas now I expect.

Thanks again
Geoff

I am stealing myself for the production of a dozen bows in the new year...The scout group are going to put them together, along with arrows with goose fletchings, and then put them to use.

Look forward to seeing your end result. Post some pictures when you've done.

Tutchi

Forager
Nov 15, 2005
Scotland
stovie said:
I am stealing myself for the production of a dozen bows in the new year...The scout group are going to put them together, along with arrows with goose fletchings, and then put them to use.

:)
Hi Stovie
are you going to use any of that new sourced bamboo?

Rgds
Tutchi
:cool:

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Tutchi said:
:)
Hi Stovie
are you going to use any of that new sourced bamboo?

Rgds
Tutchi

Hi Tuchi

Yep. Got it through. Appears to be good quality. Ordered enough to make a couple of bows for myself...Perks of the leader ;)

Tutchi

Forager
Nov 15, 2005
Scotland
stovie said:
Hi Tuchi

Yep. Got it through. Appears to be good quality. Ordered enough to make a couple of bows for myself...Perks of the leader ;)

Reminds me of the cap with two brims captioned "I'm the leader, which way did they go?" :lmao:

Rgds
Tutchi
P.S. Let us know how the new bamboo works out please.

Infragreen

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2006
Denmark
And the rest is good to see again!

Maybe the next craze will be "the Puzzle Bow!"

Good to see someone learned the tech, while the page I learned it from disappeared. (Still have it tho).

Now go make some armour piercing Frankenbows, and some sweet-shooting smallish snipey-slingers.

I have the Fronkonshteen, and when I release the arrow, I hear a "Yeth, Mathter!" over my right shoulder.

(It may be just me... :p )

Saluto!

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Infragreen said:
And the rest is good to see again!

Good to see someone learned the tech, while the page I learned it from disappeared. (Still have it tho).

Saluto!

Is that the SAME tutorial as the panda one you mention???

Infragreen

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2006
Denmark
It most certainly is. And now you should have it too.

BTW, I think I've seen a bundle bow sometime, made from electricians' tubing (pvc?) and electricians' tape.

Perfect for the urban caveman.

Also, I saw a movie once, where some south american indians used heavy bows from a prone position, feet on bow and pulling to the chest. The Mission??

That sounds a bit like my Stringbreaker, but I might go supersize sometime for a real Frankenbow like that.

But what would I shoot? Broomsticks? (shiver)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE