Baking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Decided to try out my Swedish army svea alcohol stove with my mors pot and a small fry pan to do a little baking. Was an add water only muffin mix took I'd guess maybe 3 to 4 ounces of alcohol to fully bake it tough time estimate bout 20 minutes. Came out really good to. Let's see any ways that you've done baking. Same idea works well over a white gas stove to.

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
You should apply to cutthroat kitchen :) impressive.
Haha yeah nobody wants to see me on tv I'm to grouchy lol.

Thanks fellas. This can be adapted to other pots to long as you leave a bit of air space for the baking vessel. Would be great with a fire to being able to scoop some coals on top

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I'd call that a result!
wouldn't the cake tin fit inside the billy/oven the proper way up? Only going by the lid size in the last picture & the open oven pictures, it looks like it might, so long as its off the bottom it will work well...

I've done a fair bit of Alcohol baking I do mine on simmer with the ring fully open & pot lid on, no peeping slow bake for up to an hour... plenty of heat cooked through brown moist no burn

this was my first attempt

10981053913_6bb46ffc92_m.jpg

Dry Baking on my Trangia 25 in the large billy Top tip greaseproof paper to prevent sticking & saves on washing up,

Enamel plate makes a good baking tray. but with hindsight maybe not such a great idea as thermodynamically Aluminium is probably better than whatever material enamel plates are made from! bake time was reduced by about 10 minutes for a similar recipe (caramel cup cake) when the small aluminium billy was used as a cake tin

10981059824_f2816e812a_m.jpg

Betty Crockers Blueberry Muffin mix... mmmmm put me in the notion now...

10981009803_0a877bb89c_m.jpg

Modified pot stand Goes in The larger Trangia billy to prevent burning..

Last edited:

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
You guys are tempting me to shove my Billy into the wood burner. I fear my flatmates may start to question my sanity.

Stop it! :p

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Alan 13~7 yep it will fit just a bit to tight to pull the fry pan out. It made much easier this way.

I say take your pot and give it a try make them think ya lost it. Pics are required if ya do.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Like the "side on" technique- thats a new one to me! A bit of weld mesh and some tin snips would soon make an oven shelf too!

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
i saw a dave Canterbury video bake the same on a fire last year ? one of the reasons i bought my mors pot.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Could've been. It's not anything new doing baking like this I enjoy playing around trying new ideas with my stuff. The mors pot is a favorite piece of kit for sure

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE