Bakers Bread Rasp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi Foks
Just arrived this morning is a early Easter present from herself, something I've been after for a while'

eDow6aJ.jpg

78G12i2.jpg

It's a rather nice Tyzak bread rasp, used back in the day to remove burned bits from the crust to make them more palatable or more importantly salable. Since it's a user I'll give it a good clean on the working side. Ironically for the last 3 months ive not been able to bake anything as the last working oven on nthe range died and we have been waiting on a replacement ever since. It's due on the 18th but I'm not holding my breath. as I get used to the new cooker i'll no doubt give the rasp some use but I have mainly wanted it for use with the Aussie bush ovens out side. If you aint familiar with these they are used like dutch ovens but are made of thick spun steel rather than cast iron. You do need slightly more care while you are learning to use them but once you have the hang of it they are as good as a dutch oven but have the great advantage of being completely bomb proof, lighter and in the larger sizes, cheaper. The 15 incher i've used to do two 12 inch Pizzas at the same time. But I digress.

Any one who can heat treat could make a bread rasp from a wide flat single sided rasp. You'd have to draw the hardness out, or whatever the correct term is, cut a longer tang with a angle grinder, grind the teeth off the new section of tang, make a couple of 90 degree bends in the tang, reharden the toothed section and fit a file handle. Since I have a suitable donar rasp once the lad has learned how to heat treat I am tempted to make one for the hell of it.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Same here, I've actually eaten sone of those ships biscuits i made! The rasps were really for the actual black bits so they could more easily sell them. Herself deliberately burned a crust off a spelt boule so I could try it out. It works well. Predictably it leaves a slightly rough surface. When I next have some stale bread I'll see how easily it makes bread crumbs.

They are still listed in a 1950 Tyzack catalogue sent to New Zealand.

Atb

Tom

Reactions: Toddy

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I'm going to have to find a high shelf to keep it on, I've just seen herself looking thoughtfully at it in her hand as if it was a knuckle duster....

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I have mainly wanted it for use with the Aussie bush ovens out side. If you aint familiar with these they are used like dutch ovens but are made of thick spun steel rather than cast iron.
Hi Tom,
Sorry..... Off topic I know, did you get your spun steel opens in the UK? I have a Hillbilly one but have been trying to find some of the ones made by southern metal spinners, always put off by the shipping charges.

Cheers
Louis

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi Louis
I'm afraid I got them via a mate who lived near where they were made at the time as part of a swap of militaria and he sent them on by sea otherwise I'd have never bean able to afford them. I'm amazed no ones picked up on importing them in bulk to the UK ad I'm sure they would sell well.

My Comedy sized frying pan is a Hillbilly and that was horrendous to ship. Mind I don't begrudge it as I could do a fry up for five on it no trouble. I had to get a trivet made for it as it is so big it would smother the fire without!

I got canvas travel cases for all three and they were very reasonably priced.

I'm looking forward to getting them back into use after being in storage for a couple of years. I've not long since cleaned them and given them a good reseasoning.

Somewhere I've still got a unopened bag of "Heat Beads" to go with the bush oven cook book! I've always used them with embers from wood fires, the lids are especially easy to use with regards to coveting with ash and embers compared to most dutch ovens, especially if its blowing a bit.

I've not used it properly yet but I've acquired one of those magnetic stove flue thermometers to help judge temperatures .

The one thing I'd like to get from SMS , which didn't then come with back when I got my 15 inch oven, is the trivet for inside. I use a inverted pizza tray, the sort with holes in , as the postage on buying the proper heavy duty one is prohibitively expensive. Saying that, stood on a few stones inside, the pizza tray has worked fine so far.

Atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
SMSs website isn't working for me, can tget the internal links to work. Says its closed due to Covid, Anyroad, this lot over near Keighly sell their Bedourie Oven so could possibly get you other products?

For the life of me I can't remember if I have a 10 and a 15 inch or a 12 and a 15. Memories going!

Atb

Tom

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
I just looked up shipping on a Bedourie oven. steel pan and lid $65. Postage to the UK another $92->!!
I've had mine [ 2 off] for 40 years but use them seldom

I used to have a perforated pizza cooker tray I used as an internal trivet but I seem to have lost that.
They don't work as well for me as a cast iron Dutch oven with legs but they are both lighter and far more robust in general use

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE