Badgers up a hill

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
When I was at a meet last weekend I went for a wander up one of the nearby hills, after making some phone calls at the top I took a different route down picking up a faint narrow trail. About half way back down the hill I came across what I'm pretty sure was a small badger set, the odd thing was the elevation of it, I'm more used to finding them in sheltered woodland. The location was around 75m up a grass covered scree slope, the scree is mostly well buried now but it's still rocky on the bare patches. Emanating from the set were lots of narrow tracks, they went off in all directions but the most worn of them headed straight down to the river and woodland below.
In summer the area would be waist high in bracken and no doubt blue bells in the spring, so I'm guessing they had food and water relatively close by, it just struck me as a bit odd when there's a lush coniferous woodland 300m away.

I've got some pics on my camera which I need to get off, I don't think they're great but I remember taking a couple.

This is where I saw it ...
P1010505arrow.jpg

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
It's not that odd at all - they don't always have setts in woodland. In fact, some of the largest setts I've ever seen are in open land.
Practically all setts are situated on a hill, slope or bankside to allow for drainage.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It's not that odd at all - they don't always have setts in woodland. In fact, some of the largest setts I've ever seen are in open land.
Practically all setts are situated on a hill, slope or bankside to allow for drainage.

Thanks Bushwhacker, I've learnt something already today

mark

Forager
Dec 26, 2007
Stirlingshire
Yep, I've found tracks and badger latrines up to about 2500m down Glen Feshie before - away from the usual places people go.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE