badger pics

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Think I have managed to host my badger video, hope it works.....I was holding a torch in one hand and the video camera in the other hand, I was not used to filming, let alone trying to watch the badger, keep the light on it and film it at the same time....I was holding the lense cap in my hand too and at the end of the film I managed to drop it and it frightened the badger off....

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Nice video Jon! Is that peanuts you're feeding them?

How come you can shine the torch right at it without frightening it?

Cheers mate...Yes Peanuts I think, though I did not put them there....Torch light doesn't seem to bother them at all, that was a 3 cell maglight straight into its face from only 10 feet away...

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Nice one Jon. I've heard that you should bring the torch light down onto them as opposed to aiming at them and then turning on. Problem with feeding peanuts is getting the badgers to look up for the camera:lmao:

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Nice one Jon. I've heard that you should bring the torch light down onto them as opposed to aiming at them and then turning on. Problem with feeding peanuts is getting the badgers to look up for the camera:lmao:

That was my first encounter with badgers, but it seemed that even the light straight into their faces didn't bother them though the click of the torch going on spooked them. Had a family of them all around me that night....Was great....

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
HPIM2845.jpg

There is one there, I promise! Help me camera people, I have a HP 850 and can manually change the aperture or shutter, but not both. I am trying to take photos in a very dark field, but to no avail. If I use the torch, I get that double exposure look and evreything is blurred. What should I set the camera at for dark nights?

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
HPIM2845.jpg

There is one there, I promise! Help me camera people, I have a HP 850 and can manually change the aperture or shutter, but not both. I am trying to take photos in a very dark field, but to no avail. If I use the torch, I get that double exposure look and evreything is blurred. What should I set the camera at for dark nights?

To shoot in low light you would need to leave your shutter open for longer to let in as much light as poss, but this means you also need your subject to stay still or you will get a blurred shot. You also will need to hold the camera steady or on a tripod... Is the subject too far away to use the flash..? Maybe you should set yourself a challenge to get closer if so. Wipe yourself down with badger odour and wear a black and white coat might help....:D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Flash was on and I was maybe ten feet away! Saying that, it was overcast and pitch black last night. Tried using a lamp but they didn't come out too well, and because my camera has a stupid auto focus, I need to depress the shutter release half way for it to "lock on" to what i want to take a picture of, but it couldn't cope last night!

i suppose I'll just have to wait for a good full moon and a clear night!:rolleyes:

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Flash was on and I was maybe ten feet away! Saying that, it was overcast and pitch black last night. Tried using a lamp but they didn't come out too well, and because my camera has a stupid auto focus, I need to depress the shutter release half way for it to "lock on" to what i want to take a picture of, but it couldn't cope last night!

i suppose I'll just have to wait for a good full moon and a clear night!:rolleyes:

Auto focus can be a right pain sometimes....The panasonic fz cameras have a manual focus where you just turn the lense bit, just like on the old slr's, works a treat and I wish my camera had it....Can you turn up your flash settings at all...?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Nope. Can manually focus, and the flash has one setting - retina searing! What I really need is a digital SLR with a hotshoe thingy, macro lenses, a flash with loads of gucci settings on it, loads of big lenses that I don't know how to use, a nice bag to stow it all in and a monkey to carry it all!

Guess I'll have to wait for that lottery win!:rolleyes:

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
I sympathise with you Spamel. When we first started watching the badgers in April my father in law had a few chances at very close badgers in low light, he was pressing the button like a mad man but his bl**dy autofocus was too slow!!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I was out with Ratbag last night and we followed this chap for a good ten minutes, never more than about twenty or thirty feet away from him. How did you get your shots KAE1? They seem to be late afternoon maybe, and your badgers are up already! Ours must be lazy gits!

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
I expected to see nothing til dark but by ensuring I always had the wind right and always remaining motionless I started seeing them earlier, they are more cautious and less forgiving in daylight.
If you watch my video I was literally 8ft in full daylight from the badger but he couldn't scent me (but you can see him trying to get my scent) and I didn't move. Generally with animals if you don't smell and you don't move you aren't human!!!!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE