Badger or Rabbit hole?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Came across this on my wanderings today, what do you think?
a. Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
b. Boot Eating Badger

IMAG2631.jpg

Photo doesn't really do it justice, the mystery hole is about 14 inches across and eight high.
The shoe is size 8 and thankfully nobody has been reported missing in the area recently.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Predominantly Beech woodland, adjacent to grazing pasture. Steeply sloped terrain 35-40 degree. Extensive network of holes but this is the first time I have seen evidence of digging. Lots of leaf litter and fern cover so alas no luck spotting any tracks of the beastie yet.

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
There's quite a few badger sets where I wander about. Intact some of them are so big I think actual bears might live in them! :D

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
In fairness most badger sets Iv seen have a load more earth moved about. I'd say a fox that's taken a rabbit hole over. Leave some bramble briars round the edge, check what colour fur gets left. Badger sets are very clean so ID from droppings is hard. Maybe clear some soil at the entrance, lightly rake it and try get a paw print?

You may end up with a size 8 paw print though. In which case run. :D

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
In fairness most badger sets Iv seen have a load more earth moved about. I'd say a fox that's taken a rabbit hole over. Leave some bramble briars round the edge, check what colour fur gets left. Badger sets are very clean so ID from droppings is hard. Maybe clear some soil at the entrance, lightly rake it and try get a paw print?

You may end up with a size 8 paw print though. In which case run. :D
My thought too....you can usually find evidence of bedding removed from a badger sett which may well be there out of camera shot. Otherwise could well be fox as suggested

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Could well be a standard rabbit hole that has been enlarged by an enthusiastic dog having a dig. I have seen this in action many times.

Hearing a spaniel barking underground is quite amusing.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE