Backwoods course

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gazmc2

Forager
Oct 5, 2008
Grantown-on-Spey
hi all, my wife booked me on a bushcraft course for a wedding present. it was with backwoods survival school. it was a superb weekend & i just thought i'd share it with you. a great weekend with very knowlegable instructors patrick, mark & graham.

1st night was bivvying under a shute which was great appart from the fact i stupidly placed myself under a mesh part of the shute & got rained on, it was aboot 3am so rather than move i just got rite inside the bivvi & the pitter patter of raindrops sent me off to sleep only prob was the condensation in the morning.

before bed we collected wood & got a long fire going for a brew. we constructed our own bowdrill set & had a natter round the fire.

next mornin i was 1st up so i got the fire going again from the embers & had a quite moment b4 everyone got up. once up we were presented with breakfast of wood pigeon & trout which had to be plucked & filleted b4 getting cooked on the fire. mostly skewered & pinached but we also made little parcels of pigeon breast & wild garlic from dock leaves & nettle string we made. 1st time i've tried wood pigeon & it was lovely.

after brekkie we went for a stroll to look at uses for plants etc & we came across this big shroom, i think they called it a chicken sumfin or other, not the best pic tho.

once back we constructed our own shelter which we would sleep in, took about 2.5 - 3hours to make. our wee pad slept 3 with a cozy fit so 2nd nite was warm & dry, we were well proud of it. theres a great deal of satisfaction in building & sleepin in yer own shelter.

dinner was duck, woodcock & wabbit which was great. no-one seemed to like the rabbit, this was prob due to the fact that when we cut them up the smell was horrendous. the smell stayed on our hands so when you took a piece to put in your mouth you would smell your fingers, yeuck, but once chewin the meat it was fine.

well enough from me, hope you enjoyed a look at my weekend as much as i enjoyed doing it.

cheers

gaz!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice one Gaz

Patricks courses take some beating apparently, I'm hoping to do the Beachcomber and Telemark courses eventually.

gazmc2

Forager
Oct 5, 2008
Grantown-on-Spey
cheers lads, yes was a great prezzie james, she obviously knows me well....or just wanted rid of me for a few days peace, either way it was superb. Aye the beachcomber is on my santa list rich, hoping to do this next year, think its up loch fyne, sounds good. great course, jam packed with things to do, ye dont stop from dawn till dusk & after, think i had bout 5 oors kip all weekend, well worth it tho.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
cheers lads, yes was a great prezzie james, she obviously knows me well....or just wanted rid of me for a few days peace, either way it was superb. Aye the beachcomber is on my santa list rich, hoping to do this next year, think its up loch fyne, sounds good. great course, jam packed with things to do, ye dont stop from dawn till dusk & after, think i had bout 5 oors kip all weekend, well worth it tho.

Let me know how that goes Gaz and I'll try and make the same week if poss

gazmc2

Forager
Oct 5, 2008
Grantown-on-Spey
quality pics there celt, looked amazin, thats a crackin canoe, big question, did it float?

aye rich will let ye know as soon as its booked, it'll be a crimbo prezzie but may get it booked earlier if need be, maybe you would know celt, ye think al need to book early?

gonny be a long anticipated wait till next year eh!!

gaz

quality pics there celt, looked amazin, thats a crackin canoe, big question, did it float?

aye rich will let ye know as soon as its booked, it'll be a crimbo prezzie but may get it booked earlier if need be, maybe you would know celt, ye think al need to book early?

gonny be a long anticipated wait till next year eh!!

gaz

yes, book early. If there's no dates posted for next year, give Patrick (or probably Shona) a ring and enquire about possible dates.
The canoe did indeed float.
DSC_0125.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE