backpacking, volunteering long term, wondering advise please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tenderfoot
Dec 9, 2009
england
I've been thinking alot lately about going backpacking and just for a really long wander.
My problem is its seems like a waste to just wander without a purpose, don't get me wrong i love to sit in the middle of a quite forrest and observe everything around me but there's only so many times you can do that before you think what am i doing.

So heres were volunteering comes in, why not help others while helping yourself. My question to you lovely folk is where and what?
I like animals, like the outdoors, but not really a people person, so something quite animal orientated (long-term, 6-12 months, maybe more) would be good
I have some savings (£3000, i know it's not much but it's a start) which would pay for food, water, toiletries, travel costs etc so i'm looking for something with room and board or just room (or a bit of land to pitch a tent, with a water supply etc).
Uk or abroad, thinking more abroad.
Has anybody got any ideas of where and what to look at please.

Thank you
Dean

Last edited:

Ryecroft

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 26, 2007
North Shropshire
:35:Try http://www.wwoof.org/.

You could plan a route of your choice, just use your money to pay for travel fees and expenses, then spend some time on organic based farms working for your keep, for however long you like. Some interesting projects around and about use this organisation to get help, and there is a fair chance you would meet people who have skills they are willing to teach at the same time.

I would love to do this, good luck with it and keep us informed.

Tenderfoot
Dec 9, 2009
england
thanks for the links
found a host in yukon which im interested in, cannot contact him until i sign up for the full service, which i need a credit card to do (which i dont have, trying to get a pre-payed debit card sorted out now) might be too late for this year ( i need the card sorted and a passport, first adult one so i cannot go fast track option)

so maybe looking for a winter one (sled dogs :D, which i would love to do)

thanks again

Tenderfoot
Dec 9, 2009
england
thanks john
looks interesting aswell, had a quick scan through, will read it fully tonight when i can concentrate

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
These guys look really good, I know Ben and Lisa at Woodsmoke get involved with them from time to time. I looked at doing the Snow Leopard trip a few years ago but couldn't raise the necessary funds when it came to it.

The big cat expeditions are worth a look.

http://www.biosphere-expeditions.org/

Tenderfoot
Dec 9, 2009
england
just a quick update
ill have plenty of time to read up on options now
was just on my way back from a beautiful 30 mile ride in the country, less than a mile from home and got hit by a car = broken collar bone :(
oh well, could of been worse i suppose
thanks for all the links and info

dean

TomBartlett

Spoon worrier
Jun 13, 2009
Madison, WI
www.sylvaspoon.com
Hope your collar bone fixes up quick. My brother broke mine twice as kids so I know how you feel. Transitions Abroad has a lot of useful info on it. I'm currently working abroad (South Korea) as an English teacher. If you have a degree and a passport from an English speaking country it's a great way to work and travel.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE