Backpacking light pocket stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Widgy grub

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2012
Lincolnshire
Hi all,
Had a day out in the woods yesterday, thought I would give the pocket stove a go burning wood...
Well it did the job very nicely, the only downside to it is that you have to feed it constantly... Anything thicker than your little finger is to big really

But made myself a lovely brew !!

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
I have one of these stoves too, and I don't find them very practical. You really need to be feeding it all the time, and they don't really get much heat going. What heat there is dies quickly if you're not feeding it. I think they're just that bit too small to do the job properly.

I have the emberlit stove also. It's a bit bigger and heavier of course, but I find it a much more useful stove. You get more heat, you can use bigger wood, and it will work unattended for longer, so you can pay attention to your food.

Just my two cents.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
I only use mine with meths or esbit, the wood burning option is a nice back UL but nice only used it like that once or twice

I use it with a Vaseline meths stove, used it last weekend on a wild camping trip in the Elan valley in Wales

bearpark

Tenderfoot
Jan 2, 2012
Newcastle, UK
I love mine. In fact I have two (SS and Ti). I rarely use wood in the Pocket Stove for the reasons mentioned above, plus the mess. Normally I use a trangia meths burner or occasionally esbit/hexi tablets - here it is in action, making some dinner using esbit tabs http://youtu.be/pApvmN7k_FQ

And here with a trangia burner getting the bacon on

8483447590_62c742874a_z.jpg

If people are after a wood burning stove I'd probably steer clear of this one, there are plenty of more efficient stoves out there for that. But as a small, versatile setup that can use multiple fuels I'm yet to find a better product.

bearpark

Tenderfoot
Jan 2, 2012
Newcastle, UK
Thanks man. I think it was some bacon, but there was quite a lot of good food on the go during that trip so I might be wrong.

The stove in the pic is the Ti version (notice the dull finish), the one in the vid I linked to is the stainless model.

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
I only use mine with meths or esbit, the wood burning option is a nice back UL but nice only used it like that once or twice

I'm the same, I carry mine instead of the Crusader for Esbit as it works just fine but weighs less and can use wood as a backup.

Podcast Bob

Well you've hit the nail on the head guys, as I tell people I designed the Pocket Stove as primarily alcohol/esbit stove with wood burning as a back up, whereas the Honey Stove is wood burning with alcohol/esbit as back up.

Like the Evernew DX Ti Stand/stove you have to keep feeding them continually and that's about as small as you can go practically. Certainly the smaller the twigs the better and the bottom line, it does the job.

Generally if I'm wanting to sit round a heat source and chat I'll always use the Honey or Hive. If it is purely a case of having a brew and moving on, it'll be the Pocket Stove.

Thanks for the feedback though. Good to know.

Cheers. Bob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE