Backpacking Light - Honey Stove (The Bees Knees) 09 Edition - Review

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
All,

Just thought I would put up some notes on my new Honey Stove from www.backpackinglight.co.uk.

Product Details
Name: The Honey Stove 09
Where: http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product397.asp
Price: £34.99 + P&P
Total Weight: 339g

I'll keep this short as the pictures I have taken on my iPhone are nothing short of shocking (better ones to follow).

First off I want to save this this thing is amazing. Yeah I have seen other folding cookers, like this one (http://www.amazon.com/Innovative-Products-Foldable-Pocket-Cooker/dp/B000HR95NO - I actually want one of them as well) that are cheaper, but they all lack the versitility of the Honey stove.

Okay so lets go through it.

It comes in a very nice pouch made of cordura, solidly stitched and quite light.

There are...
  • 5 x Side Panels - 40g
  • Fire Door - 23g
  • Base Grill - 57g
  • Mid Grill - 27g
  • Top Grill - 32g

I have to admit the first comment a mate of mine made when I got it out of the box was "WOW, you've bought meccano!" which upset me a little because it was my new toy, but he wasn't wrong - it did look that way.

Luckerly assembly took over about 1 minute (in the kitchen first time, about 2 min in the field, again first time) so don't be put off. These are just slotted together like so...

397_E.jpg

Here you can also see the stripped down 4 sided method for a Trangia burner.

Field Test
I live in suburbs of Brighton, no a lot of forests, so off to the local copse for tea!

On the way through the copse, I gathered about a handful of tinder.

Once I foudn a good spot, I assembled the stove.
1.jpg

The pot on top is a Millets duo cook kit - £5.99 (also get two cups!)

2.jpg

My mate couldn't beleive how easy it was to manage, and actually how efficent it was (1 litre of water took about 7 minutes).

Other shot - From backpacking light

Works with almost any pot/cup
595_E.jpg

Can be used with multiple burners and fuels, including wood
596_E.jpg

601_E.jpg

Full setup with Trangia burner mount (included)
599_E.jpg

Also great for a 1 man bacon sarnie bbq!
603_E.jpg

So there you have it. Not the cheapest stove, but extremely well made, and very versitile.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Mike

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
My base took a hammering i burnt bits of drift wood on a beach in my honey 09 continuously for 3 meals(about 30mins) and it warped the base plate big time although i mangage to sort of straighten it out after it had cooled.(still fits/works)

campatbeach016.jpg

Have to admit i like it, really usefull bit of kit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE