Backpacker cookware for 2

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
I have the hard anodised Trangia 27 including kettle with a non-stick frypan and plastic strainer/chopping board as extras. The chopping board protects the non-stick surface of the pan when packed away and the anodized pots are unmarked despite being used with metal cutlery. Not the cheapest setup to put together but it will do a lot for you. Mine has been out and about a fair bit now, usually paired with a classic Primus style stove, and it does me just fine.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Where did you buy them from, Are you sure it was genuine as I the set I had was indestructible. Where you trying to stir it with a metal fork/spoon etc or something?

Definitley genuine mate. Well, as definite as I can be. No metal either, I'm a big fan of non-stick stuff. It bubbled up and flaked on the first heating. There is a rippled texture on the coating on mine and others I checked in the shop at the time. It looks the same as the really cheap non-stick stuff.

Does yours look like this Adz?

I've got some expensive non-stick pans at home which have a smoother finish and have proven much longer lasting, even the cheap Ikea saucepan set I got for £3 has a better coating than mine.

Maybe I got the non-stick and not the hard-anodized?

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I bought a three-pan non-stick aluminium set from Aldi a couple of years ago for about seven quid. I've been very pleased with the pans, although they have no bail and the pot gripper that came with them is no use.

I have a few other sets but for two people backpacking I think that's what I'd take. The Trangia sets aren't cheap, they aren't all that light, they're fairly bulky and they rattle unless you stuff things in them to stop that. You definitely want something with a capacity approaching two litres for two hungry backpackers. One litre is never enough for me on my own, I usually use a two-person set just for me.

I think more important than the pans is what fuel you use. For backpacking I'd want as much as possible to use wood (and likely rubbish left around by other people) foraged along the journey. That way I wouldn't have to carry so much weight in fuel. I'd take a small supply of polythene bags to keep the soot on the bottoms of the pans, and not on everything else. You don't really need a stove for burnng wood, you can stand a pot over a fire with something as simple as three tent pegs pushed into the ground, or if the pot has a bail make a pot hange from a couple of tree branches.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Definitley genuine mate. Well, as definite as I can be. No metal either, I'm a big fan of non-stick stuff. It bubbled up and flaked on the first heating. There is a rippled texture on the coating on mine and others I checked in the shop at the time. It looks the same as the really cheap non-stick stuff.

Does yours look like this Adz?

I've got some expensive non-stick pans at home which have a smoother finish and have proven much longer lasting, even the cheap Ikea saucepan set I got for £3 has a better coating than mine.

Maybe I got the non-stick and not the hard-anodized?

I had the 25-6 set and never had any such problems. Only change after using was a discoloration to the coating on base which is obviously normal. I only sold it at the time because I wanted to try a even smaller/more compact kit and didnt have enough funds. I'll be re-buying the set at some point. I do however has the frying pan again but not used yet.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I had the 25-6 set and never had any such problems. Only change after using was a discoloration to the coating on base which is obviously normal. I only sold it at the time because I wanted to try a even smaller/more compact kit and didnt have enough funds. I'll be re-buying the set at some point. I do however has the frying pan again but not used yet.

I was surpised at the time it was so bad, reckon I had a bad batch. Good to know, thanks.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
err.... vango Power ex duo, from the cotswold website ? ??...

If you dont like teflon non stick the new primus pans have ceramic non stick. Annodised aluminium is supposed to be good non stick, like the gelert frying pan.

You can fry in saucepans if you need to, so a big 3 litre saucepan serves quite well as a fryer.

rg598

Native
Just one thing about pots with heat exchangers-they are a mess if you use them over a fire. They do indeed save fuel when used on a stove, but if you use them over a fire, they are very hard to clean. The sooth just packs up in the heat exchanger.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE