Backpack rain cover recommendations wanted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ganstey

Settler
Hi folks,

I'm after a rain cover for my backpack, and am frustrated by the lack of info on the various websites, as they don't show how they attache to the pack, so hoping those that own them can help. I have a "Mil-Tec Patrol MOLLE Assault Pack Tactical Rucksack 20L" with quite a few pouches attached. The pack itself meets my needs very well, but mainly due to the uncovered zips is not waterproof. One point that may be relevant is that the shoulder straps attach at the very top of the pack, unlike a bergen where there is a lid section, IYSWIM. I need a raincover that will go over the top of the pack and pouches (probably equates to 30-35L size), and will cover the top without slipping down due to the shoulder straps. Colour isn't terribly relevant, as I don't do stalking or similar. Yellow or similar would be useful when I'm out walking in suburban areas with lots of road traffic, and green/brown/black would work when I'm out in the country proper. Depending on cost and availability I may get one of each colour and select as appropriate. My main use will be on day hikes and days our in the woods, with occassional overnighters, during spring/summer/autumn in the UK, so it doesn't need to be bombproof, just rainproof!

Any advice/recommendations would be gratefully received.
Graham

Last edited by a moderator:

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
The ones I have seen are either elasticated or have a draw cord, I would have thought that for weatherproofing a drybag would have been of more use?

Louis

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I really don't get on with rain covers to be honest, the wind catches them, and they seem to either turn into a sail, or disappear altogether. Using a decent liner works well for me, and whilst, I have never really bought into the whole Molle idea for rucksacks, you can get small pouch sized dry bags for each pouch (alpkit makes some very nice/light ones).

If you really wanted to go down the rucksack cover route, 5 minutes with a needle and thread and a female + male strip of velcro would solve your shoulder strap dilemma.

ganstey

Settler
I can see the advantage of dry bags when you have most of your stuff in large compartments, but I prefer to have my stuff sorted into many, smaller, compartments. I have a cover for my urban/work rucksack, and I get on with it OK, it's just too small and the wrong shape for my backpack. I know a lot of people use dry bags/sacks, I just don't think they suit my way of doing things, but thanks for the reminder to consider them.

Had not really thought about making/adapting my own. Something to think about. Might have to experiment with some old sheets before investing in some decent material. Oh, and making the time available :) Ideas for commercially available covers still welcomed.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Gansty,
Here is my two-penneth -
I've used rucksack liners and rucksack covers for over forty years now - outdoor pursuits, military ops, Old Bill Spec ops etc.
Liners are great for separating gear, compartmental-ising it and protecting it either physically or from outside moisture depending on what they are made of. They are useful when you have to remove items from a full rucksack to get at another item and for instances when you need to leave something out of a rucksack for a period before using it and the weather's wet. Most have secondary use too.
IMHO covers are the first line of moisture defence and if you sort a good one, unless you are going to swim the rucksack can make individual liners unnecessary (previous points not withstanding). But there-in lies the problem - I have yet to find a decent, commercially available cover (non-military) that a) fits a fully loaded rucksack of stated capacities and b) doesn't end up porous after a relatively short space of time at wear points on the sack. My solution has been to make my own from decent quality ex military ponchos - (maybe you could find a heavy duty PU coated nylon on the net (but yellow! lol) )they are only a rectangle with a seam around the edge into which you thread either shock or para-cord to make a draw cord and add a spring lock. I also add a couple of half-inch webbing strap loops - one at either side of the shoulder straps, one at either side half way down and one at either side at the bottom. I then use three pieces of shock cord with the mini aluminium snap gate karabiners at each end and attach them to the webbing loops across the rucksack. Between the drawcord and the shock cords the cover is held in place however tight you need it and you can access any part of the rucksack without having to remove the whole cover -just undo relevant shock cord. Point to note is don't make the cover too small, keep an eye on any inner waterproof membrane when in use and make sure that you regularly reproof the outer with a non solvent based proofer. Hope this helps.
Jaeger

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
My 15yo+ old Karrimor daysack has one stitched into the top flap, and has a shockcord drawstring. Never had any problems with it.

Exped & Tatonka make covers, but seem to think its an opportunity to turn it into an advertisement hoarding.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Had not really thought about making/adapting my own. Something to think about. Might have to experiment with some old sheets before investing in some decent material. Oh, and making the time available :) Ideas for commercially available covers still welcomed.

I was more suggesting that you modify a commercial version. Would be less time consuming - all you need would be to sew two velcro strips to the top to fasten around the top of your shoulder straps. Or a length of webbing strap and a side release clip. Or even just two lengths of para cord to tie around the straps - all would stop them sliding off the top of the pack. less than £10 would get you this snugpak 35l cover in various colours to use as a starting point:

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/Snugpak_...undle=173949&gclid=COzl1dPtr8UCFbMatAodwjwA5w

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Just be careful if you use one on a motorbike. Had a mate who had a nasty surprise when it went from raincover to drag-chute on the motorway. He was a bit more careful after that.

ganstey

Settler
Some really good suggestions there folks, and some food for thought! The Snugpak Aquacover mentioned by The Lord Poncho looks very promising, and cheap enough to try, and even to experiment with if it's not perfect.

Motorbikes scare the hell out of me, so no chance there Goatboy :D Some great background info there Jaeger. If I decide to make my own later, that's a good starting point for a design.

Cheers folks, knew I could rely on you :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE