Backpack for weeklong hike

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dennydrewcook

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
maidstone
I was planning on through hiking the north downs this summer with my girlfriend but allowing for all of her extra "necessities" I'm going to need something bigger than a 45litre bag. I like the airjet bags but I haven't got the £50 to get a larger one any suggestions on a cheap one seen this not sure how it would hold up
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Backpacks-Rucksacks-Backpack-Rucksack-Roamlite/dp/B00FED0R7O
Thanks in advance :)

Denny 😊

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I would skimp on the costs of much of my gear, but not my pack. Can you not attach items to the sides of your existing pack? If not, cut down on the "necessities".

:)

dennydrewcook

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
maidstone
It'd be quite hard as it's only got attachment points on the lid :/ I want to but if not I'll try to raise the money to get a larger one thanks

Denny 😊

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
It'd be quite hard as it's only got attachment points on the lid :/ I want to but if not I'll try to raise the money to get a larger one thanks

Denny 

If it has a lid, secure your extras into two equal pieces and drape them over the pack but under the lid. Ignore the attachment points as they'll most likely tear under any weight. Use string or climbing tape to stop the side loads moving around.

When I was a lad I spent a summer walking across Greece and Turkey using a 35 litre pack, all my water and food I ended up securing as above using stuff sacks fashioned from multiple bin bags and gaffa tape.

If the right gear isn't available or affordable, but you need to get moving, you'll find a way. :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Don't forget to have a look at packs like the Berghaus Vulcan/Cyclops or the Berghaus Crusader.

Expensive new but you can get good examples from surplus suppliers or ebay. There's this Crusader ending today that's still a low price.

Failing that you can always try telling the girlfriend what 'necessities' she packs she carries :)

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Is your lass carrying a pack too?
If so, do as I did for a Greek trip, "you want it you carry it!"
I carried the tent and stove/pots on top of my personal gear while she carried all she needed...heels did not get packed:lmao:

Rob.

dennydrewcook

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
maidstone
The crusader looks perfect wish I had money on PayPal now 😫 and she is but she's only got a 25lt so she's going to use my 45 and I'll buy a new larger one

Denny 😊

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Not backpack related, but more about hiking the north downs way. I have started section hiking the NDW, but having made it just 10km from Dover, I wrote a brief [thread=129405]trip report[/thread] of my experience. The Route around the Dover area is really uninspiring and quite depressing. I don't think I'd want to walk all the way from Farnham to arrive in Dover... But your experience may be better. Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

J

dennydrewcook

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
maidstone
Will do my plan was to go from Farnham to Canterbury as it's near to me and I could get a lift back to home happy to post trip report though, have you any tips?

Denny 😊

dennydrewcook

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
maidstone
4fa7b517a01eb4e52d7ae6d33cc19703.jpg

got this today for the trip (on the left) compared to my 45 ltr airjet. was sold as a late berghaus but no markings and it's defiantly surplus. any clues?

denny 😊

denny 😊

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I've just got back from doing the Ridgeway trail which took 6 days. I took everything needed bar water for the whole trip contained in an Alpine Lowe Cerro Torre 85 Litre pack which came in just over 21kg with a full 3 litre water bladder. The pack was a tad expensive but I did need the space even with the tent strapped to the outside!

My mate had a Vango pack and halfway his arm started going numb with bad pain in the shoulder! We swapped packs as mine seemed to lift the straps up off the shoulder more and the pain went. Something to consider as you won't know how a pack fits and works for you until many miles done under full load?

Kit taken...

Alpine Lowe Rucksack
Vango Banshee 200
Alpkit full length self inflating mat
Alpkit Pipedream 400
Vango inflatable pillow
Cotton bag liner
Petzle head torch
msr Titan kettle and mug and long spoon
Blaze titanium gas burner and 250 gram gas cart 2 bics
opinel no.7
compass and route map
iphone plus battery pack charger
toilet roll baby wipes talc
mini first aid kit
puritabs
washkit
lifesaver bottle (not needed)
fleece
short sleeve top
long sleeve top
2 pairs Paramo pants
2 pairs walking socks
1 pair night socks
long john top and bottoms for sleeping
1 tee shirt
1 pair craghoppers
half a travel towel
floppy hat
black diamond walking pole
small DIY sit mat
waterproofs

food...

4 super noodles
2 packs of smash
2 pasta meal packs
tin of bacon grill
6 coffee sachets
6 hot chocolate sachets
12 sachets of porrage
2 250 gram Choritzos
bag of dried apricots
bag of gorp
2 tins Sardines
pack of pitta breads

Sure I may have left something out but this is what I took for a weeks camping/hiking.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE