Backpack comparison - please advise

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

OrtesPL

Feb 4, 2018
London
Hi!

I'm thinking about a new backpack for 2018. Priority is a comfort and durability.

My budget is up to around £40-£50 and I'm aiming at 65L so i can pack everything inside for around 3 days.

I'm considering packs listed below, however any tups/advises are more than welcome!

1. Bobcat - Karrimor

https://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-bobcat-65-rucksack-793000

2. Leopard - Karrimor

https://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-leopard-65-rucksack-793021?colcode=79302169

3. Panther - Karrimor

https://www.sportsdirect.com/karrim...Bvmfs2YK3K2QVV5oi-hYP3sZejuNxU-IaAlEKEALw_wcB

4. High 70L backpack - mountain warehouse

://www.mountainwarehouse.com/high-70l-backpack-p14086.aspx/Khaki/?utm_source=LS&utm_medium=Affiliates&utm_campaign=15_2014&ranMID=38135&ranEAID=pfxNKSnglIM&ranSiteID=pfxNKSnglIM-7w60nvkcYhJb2R065zk8vg&siteID=pfxNKSnglIM-7w60nvkcYhJb2R065zk8vg

Sorry for long links :/

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

srod

Forager
Feb 9, 2017
argyll
I have had a look at the mountain warehouse one you have listed there recently whilst in the shop, after being tempted by the 35l version. It was fairly disappointing, quite a cheap feel to it and didn't seem like it would take much abuse. A shame as it looks quite good in the pictures!

Reactions: OrtesPL

OrtesPL

Feb 4, 2018
London
I have had a look at the mountain warehouse one you have listed there recently whilst in the shop, after being tempted by the 35l version. It was fairly disappointing, quite a cheap feel to it and didn't seem like it would take much abuse. A shame as it looks quite good in the pictures!
Indeed! No reviews available and I'm quite far from the nearest shop.
Imo bobcat or leopard seems interesting.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Think i would rather buy used than something as low quality as the new karrimoor stuff tbh....i'v not seen those packs to be fair but all the new karrimoor stuff i'v seen fell apart just from looking at it

Reactions: Nice65

OrtesPL

Feb 4, 2018
London
Think i would rather buy used than something as low quality as the new karrimoor stuff tbh....i'v not seen those packs to be fair but all the new karrimoor stuff i'v seen fell apart just from looking at it
Any examples of used ones you have in mind?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

He's right. The words Karrimor and hardwearing don't belong in the same sentence.

OrtesPL

Feb 4, 2018
London
Any examples within a price range?
Don't know much about camping/hiking rucksacks. Do know about snowboarding if anyone needs advice (Got osprey :) :))

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
If you're ok with DPM, a second hand Lowe Alpine Sting might be an option. It's about the size you need and there's an option to add side pouches to increase it if need be.

It's a heavy bag, but not too heavy, and the adjustable back length is superbly easy to set.

OrtesPL

Feb 4, 2018
London
They all are good for a short bushcraft and using car imo.
I need something light and comfortable for longer hikes.
As per a size.
I do own osprey 32L and some old rucksack 55L.
They are good for a 2 day trips, but need something bigger for longer hike.
I do not like to keep anything a outside a bag (dry bag on some occasions).

Seems to me that OEX is good choice for a size, quality, weight(!) and price.

Do you agree or disagree?

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
If you can wait a week or so i have a good condition karrimor 'independance' you can have for £40 its from when the brand meant something and is a very good pack indeed
Expandable 60-80ltr or 60-100ltr....something like that, they do a military version of it these days

As for other brands
Berghaus
Ospray
..........and my mind draws a blank lol but theres tons of decent stuff on ebay

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
He's right. The words Karrimor and hardwearing don't belong in the same sentence.

Agreed. Frankly, all the four pack mentioned above should be pretty much avoided on principle - between Sports Direct and Mountain Warehouse, the OP has picked the very worst places on the High Street.

The OEX range is Go Outdoors decent 'own brand', and you could do a lot worse - they've got a back system, etc.

But Ebay is your friend, and a quick search on Piclink (which can make a quick Ebay search a bit easier), just looking for 'Berghaus 65 rucksack' bought up a load of goodies. Lowe Alpine and them are the two best known 'decent' brands in the UK, and they tend to be bought for DoE, etc, so they are solid kit and a fair number are around. Good back systems (if you do your research, you can date them by which ones they are using), and you can do very well on a budget.

Bioflex 65 + 10 , and here, and here - even if they goes up to £45, thats a good deal, and is about 10 years old at most - they were not cheap bags at the time. I'd snap up the first one, but frankly, they are all good value, and way better than the original list.

The Biofit system is slightly newer (again, started on the most expensive bags and came down the range, and is on the more entry (and DoE favourite), the Trailhead. Again, £40 is perfectly reasonable (£38 right now is a great price, and if you can get it for £35, great) (£50 if you want it now with that example), but here is another one for £30 with free shipping. The Torridon was the DoE type sack in their range from about 7 years ago, and again, will be perfectly decent, and £30 or so will be a decent price.

There are loads of them about, so you have a good choice and there is the chance to search out a bargain if you look out for vague descriptions and mispellings. I'd also recommend this book - you can get it second hand for a fiver, and excellent advice on repairing kit. A decent rucksack might need little more than a good scrub (a soak in Vanish can really help!), but it will give you loads of advice on buying stuff and repair.

Reactions: OrtesPL and Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Rep to you Old Bones for introducing me to Picclick. What a thing! It's an electric lightbulb compared to the gaslight and candles of the EBay and Amazon search method. :beerchug:goodjob

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Rep to you Old Bones for introducing me to Picclick. What a thing! It's an electric lightbulb compared to the gaslight and candles of the EBay and Amazon search method. :beerchug:goodjob

PicLink doesn't pick up everything, but its handy for a quick look, and will generally find other similar items. My tip would be to set up favourite searches, and let Ebay to the job for you. If you search for 'Berghaus 65 rucksacks', you can save that to favourite searches, which will alert you when new items matching that description pop up. I've got loads of them now, and it makes like a lot easier. I've also done it for certain sellers, so I can see what they've got new in.

Its also worth looking at Europe's ebay's, to see what gets picked up as well, although you have to think about shipping, and really look at that photo carefully. There is a site called fat fingers (and there are others) which plays around with descriptions, where misspelled words can mean most people miss an item.

And have the Ebay app on your phone - it will sync with the desktop version, but its easy to use and you can track what you after very easily, because it will send you an alert about interested items and new stuff.

Amazon isn't always as cheap as you think it is, and 3rd party sellers are not always as well policed as they should be. For books, mostly fine, but for other stuff, like Ebay, I'd check the market price first - you be surprised at how often Amazon is more expensive or little different from buying on the high street.

Reactions: Nice65 and OrtesPL

5teep

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2017
Scotland
Indeed! No reviews available and I'm quite far from the nearest shop.
Imo bobcat or leopard seems interesting.

I know you've probably moved away from Mountain Warehouse as a choice but if you wanted to check them out in person they have shops in Dobbies Garden Centres.

OrtesPL

Feb 4, 2018
London
Thank you all for a very comprehensive advises!
I will go either for Berghaus Ridgeway or Trailhead (apparently there are only minor differences!).
Will keep an eye on eBay for a good offer.
Didn't know about FatFingers so much appreciated tip!

I will pass with warehouse and sports direct own brands.
The only other I'm considering is OEX Vallo, but will hunt for Berghaus used in a similar price range.

Does anyone had an opportunity to test Ridgeway and Trailhead and compare them?

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK

For the benefit of the OP, until the mid-noughties (and esp during the 1970s, 1980s and early 1990s) Karrimor was cutting edge kit, well made in sunny Lancashire and loved by all in the outdoors community.

Due to some poor investment decisions, Karrimor went bust in 2004 and have ended up as part of M!ke Ashley’s portfolio of “zombie” brands sold through Sp0rts D!rect and elsewhere. There may be the odd gem amongst the dross but generally, the quality reflects the low prices.

Confusingly, Karrimor SF “Special Forces” is and always was a separate company making high quality kit usually in black or “warry” colours aimed at those in the armed and police forces. This survived the insolvency and continues making top notch kit although confusingly, Karrimor SF kit is sometimes sold at Sp0rts D!rect.

In summary, old Karrimor kit is great, as is Karrimor SF kit but modern Karrimor stuff is cheap and usually nasty.

You pays your money....:).

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
For the benefit of the OP, until the mid-noughties (and esp during the 1970s, 1980s and early 1990s) Karrimor was cutting edge kit, well made in sunny Lancashire and loved by all in the outdoors community.

Due to some poor investment decisions, Karrimor went bust in 2004 and have ended up as part of M!ke Ashley’s portfolio of “zombie” brands sold through Sp0rts D!rect and elsewhere. There may be the odd gem amongst the dross but generally, the quality reflects the low prices.

Confusingly, Karrimor SF “Special Forces” is and always was a separate company making high quality kit usually in black or “warry” colours aimed at those in the armed and police forces. This survived the insolvency and continues making top notch kit although confusingly, Karrimor SF kit is sometimes sold at Sp0rts D!rect.

In summary, old Karrimor kit is great, as is Karrimor SF kit but modern Karrimor stuff is cheap and usually nasty.

You pays your money....:).

Thanks for that, I should have elaborated a bit really.

Reactions: KenThis and OrtesPL

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE