Back in the woods with my girls... Perfect moments.

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
It's been a week or so since we explored or local woods and worked on our "camp". When you are 3 and 5 years old building the camp takes a while! The den we have constructed with friends is pretty cool though. We know which trees to string the tarp and hammock from. The mini fire pit has a stony spot and lots of offcut logs make excellent seats.

Today though we were checking the route for a night walk tomorrow. One of their friends is turning 6 and has requested a walk and some games tomorrow night, in the woods. Anyhow, we were up there after twilight fell and it was just magical. The light, sounds, gentle cool breeze all made for a beautiful moment. Only had my phone but I think I took one of my favourite pictures of the girls yet.
08259d6116ff55227c1c1fe2591f2cb1.jpg

They then proceeded to guide the 20 minutes back through the woods themselves and without using their torches. Steady, careful and talking to each other all the way, the 5 year old usually in the lead.

It's good to see them catching the bug...
147d2e36896cff261d122d04f489f42b.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You can almost smell that fresh air :D
Lovely to read, and brilliant that they're growing up belonging in the outdoors like that :D

atb,
Toddy

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nicely written piece about a nice subject. Cheers for sharing and it sounds like your daughters are growing up to be proper little wood elves. :D
Hope they and you continue to have fun and build your skills & love of outdoors.
ATB,
GB.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
Thank you all. It makes me proud to see them out and about. Tonight's walk turned into more of a party, with the parents about 25 of us in total invaded the woods. It was funny to see the difference between the ones who have been out before and the ones who haven't. Confident 5 year olds playing hide and seek in the middle of the night in the woods is about as exciting as it gets! (Yes, we did find them all) Already yearning for a smaller group again to stay up there as it gets dark though. Cook more than just popcorn and marshmallows, make something with the found wood, finish off a little hidden shelter to dry the wood we find ready for next time...

Being out in the woods and solving all the little problems, great isn't it...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE