[B]Bronze age axe head[/B]

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
A while back I forged a broze age axe head. I hadnt thought about using it till recently, as a love for the old struck. I thought it would make a good rough shaping tool, more suitable for travel than a Gransfors axe.

However the edge on it is quite dull and I recently purchased a Gransfors axe stone. Does anyone know whether using the stone on bronze would damage the axe atall (apart from honing the edge of course!)? Or the stone?

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Well, bronze is going to be a lot softer and will probably load the stone with metal particles...

ISTR something about sharpening some blades - bronze, for example, but might have had something to do with scythe blades - by peening: Essentially, you'd be thinning the edge & work hardening it at the same time. At the moment it is nothing more than dim recollection, so if I find anything to back it up I'll let you know.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've got bronze knives that I use in period kit on historic sites, and if peened ( thanks folks, I didn't know the name of the practice) they are good tools but they will clog up any stone used to sharpen them :( It seems better to hone them sharp on a piece of rough leather and occasionally re-set the edge than keep aiming for razor-like.

Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE