Axes, anyone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
Well, I've finally decided to invest in a decent axe but I know nothing about them other than that good things happen when you swing them at lumps wood. I've used them before on camps but I'm far from an experienced axe-man and wouldn't know where to start when looking for a quality tool, but I've heard that you can't go wrong with Gransfors or Wetterlings. Basically, I need a versatile tool that'll suit a range of tasks from limbing trees to rough carving but I don't want to break the bank in getting it. I won't be felling large trees so I don't need a huge lumberjack style affair, but I'd like something that could take down a sapling yet not be too cumbersome to use for, say, hollowing out a canoe or tillering a bow or for other likely buschcraft tasks. So, err, yeah... any suggestions? Thanks a lot!

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
You will find it hard to beat the GB Small forest axe mate, probably the best allround axe you will find, size wise and price wise :wink: oh get your self the GB sharpening puk as well top bit of sharpening kit :biggthump

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
either the wetterlings or gransfors i have the small forest axe and it will do any of the tasks you want it for the wetterlings is cheaper but from what i can tell is every bit as capable as the gransfors the large hunting axe is roughly the same size as the small forest axe hope that helps :wave:

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
You would do well to get the forest Axe or similar. A handle that can be used with both hands is vastly safer and the weight/size increase negligable. The classic Canadian Hudson Bay Axe epitomises this, and was actually specified by length and head size in the older survival gear regs for pilots.

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
But has anyone got a Vaughan Hatchet??

I to have been looking at this axe and would be interested to hear from anyone that has used it. Looks like a nice axe but limited information on the website.

Thanks

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
hootchi said:
The small hunting axe may be a good choice for the novice having a smaller lenght so easier to control. :?:

This is very true and worth bearing in mind....BUT....(tee hee hee, there's always a but).... It's also worth bearing in mind that the smaller an axe the more dangerous it is and the larger an axe the safer it is.

This is due to swing, with a small axe; if you miss or go through a chopping block and the swing is in line with yoru body (which it shouldn't be) then the length of the axe is such that it will hit your body at roughly thigh height (right by the themoral artery).
With a larger axe the swing arc with be closer down towards the shin due to the length of the handle...
And with a large felling axe, due to the length of that handle it will usually hit the floor during the swing arc before it gets to your body.

Just something to bear in mind anyway..... :eek:):

Rhaps, you could always look at the Gerber camp axe....I have one and while it's not as nice looking as the wooden ones I have found (so far) that it does the same job and costs a little less.

http://www.gerberblades.com/products/view.php?model=5905

Hope that's of some use to you :lol:

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
bambodoggy said:
It's also worth bearing in mind that the smaller an axe the more dangerous it is and the larger an axe the safer it is.

Small hand axes are also most dangerous because you are often holding the thing you are going to cut. Roughing out a spoon blank involves holding the wood in your hand which obviously increases the chance of loosing a finger or thumb.

Bill

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
it's ironic, but the better axes rarely work "out of the box"

rhapsody, cheapest option, some would say with no soul, go to homebase and buy a gerber/fiskars/wilkinsonsword plastic handled hatchet. these will be ready to go straight away. 18 quid.

the most expensive, but still great value for money option, something by gransfors bruks, either the wildlife hatchet or small forest axe. it would be better if you could choose one from a batch. not all axes are created equal, not even all GBs are created equal, but the GBs are all still good. 40 to 50 quid.

the wetterlings, a bit cheaper than the GB equivalent size model, but they will need a bit more TLC to get them ready to go.

if you've a level of competance with an axe already, and you know you really want one, buy quality and only cry once, get a GB.

bothyman, check out www.oldjimbo.com/survival there's all sorts of info on axes and mini axes, including the vaughn. generally feedback seems to be good, i haven't got one, yet.

cheers, and.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE