Axe Stone

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
I am going to buy a GB sharpening stone you know the round ones but what would you recommend the Axe Stone, Natural or Ceramic? or is it 6 and half a dozen.
PS I wrecked my diamond steel, I used it without chalking it first anyway can I use the GB stone on my Buck knife or are they just for axes?

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
I have the natural mate, not sure of the difference but I know the natural tends to be out of stock in more places so that to me says it's the better one. Also I think they only made the ceramic because the natural was always out of stock, I could be wrong though.

As for using it with a knife, you probably could but obviously couldn't sharpen in the traditional way although I dare say you could get a good edge using one of these stones on a knife.

Hope this helps in some way :)

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
It sounds as if the main reason for the natural sandstone model being out of stock in many places is because GB is having trouble obtaining the material, so that's why the ceramic one is more commonly available.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I reckon the axe stone would be good for convex grind knives. Not really for scandis as it would be very hard to lock on the bevel.
I have the natural one. It's OK, nothing special. Quite easy to cut yourself with it.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I use a Lansky Puck Stone and a normal file from the local hardwae shop. This combo cost under a tenner.
Lansky puck is really an oil stone, but works great dry.

It'll give you just as good an edge as a GB puck and expensive diamond file.

No need to spend a fortune on the the axe belt loop either.

Get one of these thick leather belt loops, brass loop and riveted for £2.50. Mines a rolson. Fits a GB SFA perfectly

hammerholder-lg-.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE