Axe Sheath

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
I am looking for a sheath for my camping axe. I keep it nice and sharp (I take a wetstone with me and sharpen it mid trip and after every trip), but I'd like a nice sheath for it. I was thinking a nice leather one. Does anyone know anybody who could do a leather sheath for the axe?

I have leather sheaths for my other axes, but they were made when I got them in Sweden.

The axe in question is this one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Camco-Athle...UTF8&qid=1406125200&sr=8-1&keywords=camco+axe

It has a plastic sheath but I really dislike it.

allrightscud

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2013
Central Belt, Scotland
Hi

If you can't find one to buy at a reasonable price or someone to make you one, then have a go at making one yourself. You don't need much a sharp knife and if you don't want to stitch it some leather craft rivets which are easily bough and cheap online. Adhesive, staionary clips and a needle and thick thread.

Just trace out a pattern of your axe head on paper, double it over allow a bit extra for the seam then find a bit of leather off the net, loads of off cuts and stuff on e bay or the leather craft Tandy website.

To fix it you can either stitch it or rivet it. Either way a little adhesive on the seam and some stationary clips to hold the seam in place will ensure its a good closed seam.

If you want to stitch it use a very small drill bit to make your stitch holes around the seam then if you don't have an automatic awl or sail makers speed stitcher, 2 needles on the same thread working their way round will do. Alternatively punch holes along the seam and rivet it or use leather lace to stitch it. Theres loads of designs of sheath online depending on what sort your after. Have a look and see what you’re after.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
I may do that. I've seen some companies looking at charging around £60 for a sheath which is way out of my budget. I didn't even spend that on a double headed axe when I got it in Sweden. Just a bit disappointed really. May make my own.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
Time is my enemy here. Whilst I would love to learn to craft with leather, right now, with the Job, Family commitments and my other commitments, I have maybe half hour to myself a day which I generally use for a shower or bath before bed. My day is quite literally jam packed, every day.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I could make one for you, mate, but I'd really need the axe to get the fit right and it would cost so much on postage it wouldn't make sense. Maybe one of the UK based leather worker's might do it for you.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
Thanks for the offer. Nearest place to me that would do it wants £65 on materials alone and a further £45 for the working. It isn't even that big so I can't justify £110 for it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE