axe sheath repair

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
A little while ago the sheath for my axe got damaged. the love of my life, not knowing any better, decided to chop my sheathed axe down onto the chopping block (bless her little cotton socks!). Obviously it went straight through the brass (I think) rivets and opened the sheath up like a book. I was slightly miffed by this, as you can imagine, so put it up on a shelf and tried my best to ignore it until I was a little calmer about the whole situation……….

6 months later……..

So yesterday I finally got round to repairing my sheath. Removing the two remaining rivets was the most difficult bit of the operation, drilling got me nowhere the rivet just spun, the punch just got stuck, ideas ran out. So in the end the problem was solved, as many things are, by the simple application of frustration and a cutting tool (hammer and chisel in this case). ‘Twas then a simple matter of making a new welt, from birch, and sewing it all back together.
It’s sewn with some really thick bonded nylon thread because that’s what I had to hand. I didn’t bother to glue it all because I didn’t I didn’t see any need to.

Some pics:

sheath
jb3h4y.jpg

on the axe
28cndw8.jpg

close up showing (slightly shoddy) stitching
25ozzad.jpg

comments/criticisms are more than welcome

thanks for looking

stuart

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I like it Stu. :D

I would be interested to see how the Birch holds up. The design is very interesting. :)

cheers mate, glad you like it

i'll let you know how the birch holds up in a year or so! i don't see any reason why it shouldn't last as long a leather welt would :dunno: but time will tell.

design wise i've just copied exactly what was there in the first place, traced around the original welt and then used the rivet holes as a guide to drilling the holes for stitching. i might add some more stitching yet but i've not made my mind up.

cheers

stuart

i like the idea, but i think can be an issue if you step on the sheath without the axe in it, how much lateral strength is needed to brake the welt and render it unusable (not sure if breaking would be an issue

i made this sheath some time ago and is holding up nicely, of course no one has chopped anything the the sheath on ;)

dsc_0067.jpg

dsc_0077.jpg

Cheers
Esteban

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
ta for all the positive comments guys.

rancid badger, i'm with you about it being a good way to add a bit of colour, i'm thinking about putting some white stitching between the black, give it a nice two-tone look.

mcniac, you're definately right mate, stepping on it would almost definately break the wood - however, it shouldn't happen, if i'm using my axe at home then the sheath's on the table and if i'm using it in the woods then it's clipped round my belt as soon as i take it off. also, i don't know how much it would matter if the wooden welt got broken, it's held together pretty well by the stitching and the leather. i have doubts myself though, i think there's still a fair chance that someone's going to explain to me exactly why it's going to fall to pieces :rolleyes:

nice work esteban, that's a smart sheathgoodjob

cheers

stuart

Last edited:
I don't want to play devils advocate but I don't like the idea of the sheath failing during an outing, or something.
Anyway, best luck with the sheath and I hope you test it well BEFORE putting some real work on it

thank you for your word on my leatherwork, i must confess that i built that sheath like that because that was all the leather i had and was about to go camping in the next day or so...

Cheers
Esteban

slamdunk

Nomad
Sep 21, 2006
Sussex
An interesting repair - very resourceful!

If it does fall apart by all means send it to me and I'll repair it with some hand set copper saddlers rivets for you (the ones they use on duluth packs and the like) - free & gratis as I've a big bag of 'em just sitting there!

Dunc

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I don't want to play devils advocate but I don't like the idea of the sheath failing during an outing, or something.
Anyway, best luck with the sheath and I hope you test it well BEFORE putting some real work on it...

how exactly does one test an axe sheath? it fits, it covers the edge of the blade, it doesn't fall off when i swing it round my head like a wildman (you know i've just tried!) :confused: what else? not disagreeing with you at all esteban, i don't want it to "fail" either, i'm just not sure how to test it to destruction without breaking it again.:dunno:

cheers for the offer slamdunk, i shall keep it in mind for when my sewing inevitably works its way loose:You_Rock_

cheers

stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE