Axe sharpening

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
thanks i lent my axe to a friend ( big mistake i learned my lesson) and i have spent about an hour trying to get it back to its former glory.

One we often learn the hard way! I find that a dinged, chipped and blunt knife/axe severs a friendship much better than a sharp one...

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I used a Dremel instead of a file. A lot quicker and easier.
Despite concerns, it doesn't generate anywhere near enough heat to affect the temper.
I then used a 10 micron polishing compound on it (that my mummy nicked from work) and it put a razor-sharp edge on it. But some fine wet and dry would do just as well. All told, it took no more than 20-30 mins at the most.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I love to file my axes, much nicer method than using those noisy screaming dirty grinding wheel's :) . No word of a lie, with the right file its a fast method, even if I hit a nick into the edge (very rare ocurrence) its usually no more than 5 or 10 minutes to reshape with a clean, fresh file decent sized as well (not a worn out crappy indian or chinease one stuffed with paint grease and metal swarf :lmao: ), then refine it with the pack of cards, then a few finishing strops, back in good order no bother. Dont uderestimate the value of stropping, I have owned 2 mora hook knives and 2 straight ones a year or so now and they have never needed any treatment other than a quick strop every so often, to keep them razor sharp. I tried the dremel, its ok, but eventually found the tiny diameter of the wheels a bit irritating, although it was very useful to reshape the hook of my suffolk billhook, where the radius is only about 1 1/4 inches.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE