axe sharpening

Jackfolger

Aug 28, 2013
Western ny
Hey guys! im new to this forum so dont really know the works but ive got a question for all you. about 2 years ago i bought a gransfors bruks scandinavian forest axe... ive used it pretty hard but take good care of it...i sharpen it every practically every time i use it but i cant get the edge even close to where it was when i first got it. Im using 2 grits of arkansas stones, hard and hard black, along with a strop... The question is am i using the right stones? and what about the process im using?

Thanks a ton guys for whatever help you can provide

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
You really shouldn't need to sharpen it every time - just touch up with a strop.

Try a bit of thick leather glued to a flat stick and laden with some abrasive. Toothpaste will do if you don't have anything else.

I've not handled a forest axe but I bet the edge is convex and that you aren't touching the actual edge with your stones.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've never done more than file my axes after a days hard use or a weeks light use. If you're using it for splitting (rather than cutting) a duller blade does better.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I've not handled a forest axe but I bet the edge is convex and that you aren't touching the actual edge with your stones.

I have a small forest axe and that sounds about right to me it's hard to explain but you have to move the stone closer toward the edge as you sharpen and go down at the same time jackfolger but I would use a tutorial for a better explanation.

Shovel

Forager
Jul 12, 2012
Wherever I choose to live.
I would advice gluing sandpaper to something spongy like a mousepad or leather (sandpaper placed over a strop can work okay). This way the abrasive will cup the convex edge and sharpen it completely.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Also Ben Orford has a pretty good video on axe sharpening with stones.

[video=youtube;AKJhhz-643k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKJhhz-643k[/video]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE