Axe masks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Been busy making stuff recently :rolleyes:

I brought all the hatchets owned by the Scout group home to sharpen, as they were in a rather sad state. A bit of workshop time later and they were all properly convexed and polished. One didn't have a mask, and I had discovered a Kent pattern head in a workshop drawer, so I put a handle on the Kent and made a couple of masks.

Scout1a_Mask.JPG

Scout1b_Mask.JPG

Scout2_Mask.JPG

And here's one I made earlier...

GBC_Mask1.JPG

The hatchets are now all being used, teaching the Scouts how to use them safely.:cool:

Thanks for looking :)

Big Si

Dec 27, 2005
nottinghamshire
Nice work mate, we have not used our axe's much over the last few years. It's now mainly bush saws, loppers and prining shears. Most of the wood we have been using has been either pre-cut or small stuff. I'll have to dig out the kit and get it all ready for the spring.

Si

OK, here goes...

To make this style of mask you will need:

Leather (doh!) undyed veg-tan is good, as you can wet-mould it.
Thread (doh! again)
Dye to taste
Some form of finish: I use carnauba wax, but there are lots of things you can use.
2 saddler's needles
(A big thimble or a sailmaker's palm is a really good idea ;) )
Some way of making holes in the leather - an awl or a drill press.

Have a look at this tutorial to get the general idea.

This will be a lot easier with some pictures - I need to do a mask for my Elwell, so I will try to take some WIP photos and do a proper tutorial.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE