Axe Head

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

madspringer

May 17, 2014
West Yorkshire
Started cleaning my hand axe last night and noticed the head was loos.

It alrady has a metal wedge down the top of it.

What is the best way to sort it ?

Best getting new handle or another metal wedge to go down the top

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
In the long term its probably best to replace it, its useful thing to learn as well for the future and a good carving project if you want to make one from scratch.
hope it works out

paddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
New handle and a wooden wedge is the way to go, you may even be able to use the existing handle with a broader wedge.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Of late I have had a couple come loose, what I did was to make a cut into the wooden wedge with a chisel then banged I'm another wedge made of boxwood as its a very tough wood and can take a hammering. Not much use to you I know as you have a metal wedge in place but good for others to try.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sling it in a bucket of water overnight. The wood will absorb the water and swell and Bob's yer uncle. It's a short term fix but it'll work. But the short/long term solution would be as Hugo described. Even longer term is replace the handle.

Hope this two penneth advice helps.

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
This is not good to do as it will slowly make things worse. In the same vane soak the head in oil and it will stay swollen. You could also knock another metal wedge in if it just need a a little bit extra.

Sling it in a bucket of water overnight. The wood will absorb the water and swell and Bob's yer uncle. It's a short term fix but it'll work. But the short/long term solution would be as Hugo described. Even longer term is replace the handle.

Hope this two penneth advice helps.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Take it off and re-fit with a wooden wedge if it's in good enough condition, otherwise re-hang it properly with either a bought or a made helve; surely your tools deserve a little effort?

Look after your kit well and it'll see you right, never a truewr word spoken :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE