axe/hatchet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brandon-C

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2017
Highlands
Buying an old head and restoring it would probably give you the best performance for the money, most old English, American, Swedish made heads would do if in decent condition. That being said if you don't mind spending £50 you can get a Hultafors classic hunting axe which I can assure you is a really good performing axe, mine came shaving sharp with a perfect straight grain handle. Definitely no complaints. Here's a quick search I found one for just under £50:
https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product...MIjtigqtTI1QIVpLftCh0VpAzVEAQYAyABEgJ9SfD_BwE

Jackroadkill

Forager
Nov 21, 2016
Newtown, Powys
I bought a Hultafors and I have to say it's a fantastic axe for the price. I got mine form HH:

https://www.heinnie.com/hultafors-agdor-large-trekking-axe

As mentioned above, it came shaving sharp and does an excellent job. Felling might be a bit of a task with it, but splitting, chopping and processing of firewood's a doddle. I've also used mine to process shot rabbits, and whilst it's not as easy as when using a knife, the axe will do it.

Marshall

Nomad
Jan 22, 2013
Gdańsk, Poland
www.AdamMarczak.com
puszcza_bolimowska_ii_0002.jpg

goodjob

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I have owned a roselli all round axe for around 10 years and love it for carving. However I got a hultafors carpenter axe around 6 months ago. In fact I was using it earlier today to do really fiddly choked up slicing cuts on tiny little fishing lure frog bodies. It just occurred to me I have only sharpened it once...on the day I got it. It just goes and goes, I've carved alder, beech, birch, euclatyptus, pitch pine, oak. Its a very very nice axe. Only down side is its a lot heavier than the roselli which is tiring after a while, but then again that weight gives the fine control on the delicate little cuts I was doing today

Of course, best advice is, for felling, get a felling axe, for splitting get a splitting axe, for carving......:)

Last edited:

Mike Bowler

Dec 31, 2008
Cheshire UK
I have owned a roselli all round axe for around 10 years and love it for carving. However I got a hultafors carpenter axe around 6 months ago. In fact I was using it earlier today to do really fiddly choked up slicing cuts on tiny little fishing lure frog bodies. It just occurred to me I have only sharpened it once...on the day I got it. It just goes and goes, I've carved alder, beech, birch, euclatyptus, pitch pine, oak. Its a very very nice axe. Only down side is its a lot heavier than the roselli which is tiring after a while, but then again that weight gives the fine control on the delicate little cuts I was doing today

Of course, best advice is, for felling, get a felling axe, for splitting get a splitting axe, for carving......:)
thanks for your info mate I'm looking

5teep

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2017
Scotland
I have a Robin Wood axe, it's a nice weight and has good balance but handle needed a bit of finishing. He leaves them rough on purpose which was fine with me but mine needed evening out a bit as it was thicker on one side than the other.

juliojordio1983

Forager
Oct 15, 2015
Blackpool
For value for money, the Husqvarna Hatchet at around £20 is bargain. Good steel, Hickory shaft, comes nice and sharp. Sheath is ok, it can be modded to be more secure.

If you want something a little nicer (read more expensive) the Gransfor Bruks and Wetterlings are great axes. Personally all I have nowadays is a Scandinavian Forest Axe from GB. Does all I need from an axe.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
That's lovely. I'm so pleased that you all keep the total included bevel angle a secret. That's important.
For carving, buy carving tools. Learn to use a D adze and an elbow adze.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE