Axe / hatchet ID anyone ?

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
axe002.jpg

anyone now anything about this style of axe / hatchet ?

Robbi

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
There was another post asking the same question a few weeks back, maybe have a look? I remember it being a simular, if not the same axe. Ill be interested to know when you find out anyway.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
They are just a general hatchet really..there is another version with a single bevel(side axe).According to my book there were many regional variants of this type, this one seems to have survived.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
It is a kent pattern axe.

I believe this was just the style of axe that was popular in the UK. - very different from the American design which is seen on most axes these days.

No articles on them I'm afraid. that I could find anyway.

They are a very old design as far as I know. - quite good for carving with.

Andy

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
tj, my gilpin is very similar too, but do you notice that small band of detail pattern near the head? its almost identicall to an elwell i have hmm :confused:

hmm... yeah, and the shape where it changes from the eye to the blade looks alot like a friends elwell i've seen.

elwell or gilpin, whatever brand it is its a good axe, i like kent patterns they are lovely for shaping and stripping bark with.

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
well worth a bit of TLC then, it'll need a new shaft as this one has woodworm holes in it, rotary wire brush to get the black paint off and a bit of a sharpen should work wonders.

Robbi

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE