Axe haft grain direction

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 28, 2011
Pembrokeshire
Hello all

Having researched a little on-line and studied several old axes and hatchets, I have concluded that opinion is very much divided as to what is the best direction for end-grain in an axe haft (and indeed, whether it matters at all).

I am in need of some opinions from experienced hafters. Front to back, side to side or radial (as in, with the heart of the wood running through the haft)?

As I have experience in bow making, I would be inclined towards the side to side or even radial designs as these would more easily allow the retention of intact fibres over the whole length of the blade-ward face (or back, in bowyer's terms), improving shock resistance.

Thanks,
Mark

rimmer

Apr 1, 2010
eastsussex
im not very experenced eather but on the one axe handle i made i used the radeal aproch and worked very well. it might be worth repeating on the blade foram as im sure your more lightly to get the anseres your looking for or just have a go worst case senareo you have to make a nother one i can think of worse ways to spend my time i hope this helps good luck

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
As far as I know, the one on the left is close to perfect

1%20%289%29.JPG

There is quite some information on axes and handles to be found. I`d recommend the stickies that British Red has written in the edged-tools section, he puts it this way:

'Haft grain

A could quality haft should have the grain running straight from the haft toe to the neck and the haft shoulder to the haft heel. A small “wander” is okay, trees are rarely straight but a diagonal grain should be avoided as the haft is likely to split'

I am in no way an expert, but I`ve spend way to much time reading the things written by experts :rolleyes:

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE