axe, golok or kukri

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sniper 2

Jun 15, 2007
north pole
i am looking for a large edged tool for general around camp activities. i have a budget of around £30, it will be used in average british woodland. i have looked at: wilkinson sword 1.5lb hatchet, cold steel riflemans hawk, army issue golok and the jungle training kukri from khukrihouse. these are all between 15 and 30 pounds. which would best suit my needs? i already have a mora clipper and a cheapo folding saw.

cheers dan

law

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2005
north wales
hi mate i would spent £30 on a devon billhook you can get made by morris of dunsford
for that.ive been using on for ages great tools for the woods very versatile

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Depends what you want from it, if it's just chopping and splitting for fires and shelter building go for an axe. If it's lighter work, chopping branches and clearing spaces then the billhook.
Have used Kukri's for general bush work and found them superb, they'll take a little getting used to, but once mastered they can do everything except wood carving.
Here's a link to my review on BB http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44811 ,hope it helps :)
Goloks i can't help you with, no experience myself, but they do seem better suited for clearing bits of jungle then splitting logs....

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I would hang around the member classifieds and see if you can pick up a second hand axe of okay quality. I have a kukri, a golok, an axe and a Newton pattern Billhook (made by Morris of Dunsford). If it is for general camp duties in a British Woodland then I would - on balance - go for an axe.

LBL

hi mate i would spent £30 on a devon billhook you can get made by morris of dunsford
for that.ive been using on for ages great tools for the woods very versatile

You can get them for £20. IMHO far superior to any axe or machete for woodland/camp work. Just glue something rough onto the handle so you have good grip in the rain and make a cover for the blade from an old pair of boots and you are sorted!

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
The endless chopping tool debate trundles on.... ;)

I'm really boring with my preferances but I personally find a hatchet paired with a Mora does me perfectly. I use a modified Wilkinson Sword 1.5lb hatchet.

I also own a No2 golok but I don't find it very useful for many tasks - if I'm going to be clearing brush and chopping lots of very thin green sticks then I'll take it. Otherwise I stick to the axe/knife combo.

So far I've never found myself wanting another tool when I'm out :)

L

lostindawoods

i used an issued golok for years and found it pretty good for most things except small detailed stuff.
moras are good and like has been said before maybe a combination of hatchet and small knife would work best.
the webtex golok has an ok blade but the handle has 3 holes on each side where the rivets are.BLISTERS ON BLISTERS after heavy use. i suppose handle could be altered.
some friends find goloks to big and heavy but being a big guy with shovel hands i find the them ok and often struggle with smallers knives.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
The endless chopping tool debate trundles on.... ;)

I'm really boring with my preferances but I personally find a hatchet paired with a Mora does me perfectly. I use a modified Wilkinson Sword 1.5lb hatchet.

I also own a No2 golok but I don't find it very useful for many tasks - if I'm going to be clearing brush and chopping lots of very thin green sticks then I'll take it. Otherwise I stick to the axe/knife combo.

So far I've never found myself wanting another tool when I'm out :)

I agree with this in a weird sort of way.

Mora, Billhook, Saw.

You could get the lot for £30.

The saw creates your choping block, and the billhook takes care of the firewood after that.

Billhooks, go to car boots, and seek out the old tool seller. You might even find some decent axes as well.

I do want to go on an axe course, but I learned to love the billhook/saw combo, after Scout axe tests.

Also do you really want to carry around in todays climate, either a golok, or even a kukri?

An axe or billhook is going to be looked at a lot friendlier, than either.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE