Axe geometry ...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I recently uploaded a video as part of a series we are doing on restoring an old Kent pattern axe. Many of the videos in the series (de-rusting etc.) are probably old news to most people here, so I won't bore you with them, but the third in the series may amuse some here. I was trying to describe the geometrical requirements for axe shapes to be effective at splitting, crosscutting and hewing & the only way I found to do it was wooden models and visual aids. ☺️

It is full on axe nerd, so if you want a laugh at me, it might while away a few minutes!

Reactions: JohnC and Nomad64

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thank you sir, I was greatly worried that this was more than a bit "tool nerdy" to be honest, but I just couldn't think how to cover sharpening without explaining what end state we were trying to achieve!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That's very kind, thanks. Its one thing talking to Bushcraft enthusiasts about such things, but when talking to farmers, smallholders, and the like it needs to be pitched differently, its something that I'm trying to get to grips with.

Reactions: santaman2000

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We dress out lots of those! We breed Buff Orpingtons and a few other rare breed dual purpose chickens. The nice part is that being dual purpose, all are raised to maturity. Most cockerels are table birds, but since one of ours won the Royal Norfolk Show we do sell the best young cockerels to other breeders.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Published the sharpening follow up to the axe geometry video for anyone who likes these things

There will be follow ups on rust protection & re-helving if people are interested

Reactions: santaman2000

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE