Axe abuse?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
In reply to an earlier post Judy Kavanagh makes INCREDIBLE stuff. We do disagree on who spells the name correctly :D Yes, The film shows he wasn't doing anything incredibly dangerous. And yes too, it generated this discussion and might stop the untaught from doing just that. Teachers are supposed to learn from students who carry their studies forward. ;)

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I think that the technique of using the axe as a "hammer" may have come from way back . Years ago "carbon steel" was rare and expensive , so blacksmiths would forge weld a strip onto the edge of a piece of iron to make an axe head (the carbon steel being the "hard" blade). A chisel was made in a similar manner , leaving the soft end for hitting (hence the mushroom effect from repeated use) . This means that neither items would shatter or chip .
Today it is far easier and cheaper to make the whole axe head from carbon steel , so the back of the axe head is likely to be hard .
I personally dont like the idea of the blade going past my ear (i like them where they are) , or worse imbeeding it in my forhead , so i never reverse an axe or use double edged axes , bilhooks or machetes .
But if you HAVE to bang steel on steel , use a piece of wood in between . It might be less efficent , but its a lot safer .
Pumbaa

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE