Awl handle

I have a very old Awl it belonged to my great great grandfather who was an expert cobbler.
unfortunately it is starting to look its age (aren't we all) and has developed a massive split in the wooden handle (its always had this split as long as i have had it.)
i don't want to retire it as i get a certain satisfaction using a tool that has a family history with it but i would like to repair the handle
here are some pics of the damage
P5170131.jpg

the split is on both sides
P5170131.jpg

Has anyone got any suggestions as to ways i can repair the Awl so it can still be used?
Thanks in advance

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Personally I'd clean out the split, then use either good quality wood glue or gorilla glue. Then clamp it up.
When you are cleaning out the splits, keep any shavings, these can be mixed in with the glue (if you have enough shavings or get wood dust from a similar timber) which will help disguise the repair.
Another suggestion is to use para cord inner cords. Apply areldite to handle, wrap cord around the handle then coat in areldite.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

richardww

Banned
Jan 17, 2012
Gwynedd
myself i wouldent want to try and hide the splits, i would use a cold cast rasin as used in walking sticks, clean the split as best you can, then place say plasticen around the splite, the mix and pour, when its total dry you could file, sand it smooth, i would only advise doing one side a time.
a cheaper, more easy way is fill it with arodite or semiler,
Its split, your not going to change it,
to tools like that are priceless
if you want some help with the rasin let me know
richard

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Dont fix it all ,its the wear and tear tools get over years of use ,do one of two things use it the way it is and just be carefull ,or hang it up and just remember what its history is .
It looks to good to be messing it up with glues or resins ....just my opinion

Jason

The mad welshman

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2012
Louth. Lincs
For what its worth.. my mum had a carved afrikan head made from ebony which had a large split in the back and she got some advice from a cabenete maker who said thet she should soak it in linseed oil ..which worked..the head never split..

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
Get a new one, and put that one on display and let it tell its story. IMO the value in these little items is in the story it can tell...

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I 'rescued' an old ivory handled awl, from my great grandmothers sewing kit! Its great. Used an old rawhide dog chew to make a basic sheath. Good to keep stuff in service.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Hi Sam.

I have one exactly the same, I just keep using it with a tape warp.

To repair it properly, you'd rake out the dirt, clean the crack with alcohol, prime the crack with araldite or another clear epoxy and then fill the crack with a thicker timber coloured epoxy or polyester resin. Araldite will work but will run out of the crack unless taped.

If it were me, I'd make a copy of the handle out of some old timber.

If you wan't any resin, I can bring some to RC mate. Just ask. I've got some thixotropic epoxy already opened whcih would be perfect.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE